PDA

View Full Version : Paper Insulation?

Rick Burkman
10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I saw this insulation in an attic yesterday. It looks like blown in cellulose, except that you can still see the printing on many of the paper shreds - something that I have not seen before. Does anyone have more info on this type of insulation (Manufacturer? R-rating? More?)

Victor DaGraca
10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
It is recycled newspaper, shredded and treated with a fire retardant.
It comes in bundles and is mostly used for blowing insulation into non insulated, older home wall cavities.

Gunnar Alquist
10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I saw this insulation in an attic yesterday. It looks like blown in cellulose, except that you can still see the printing on many of the paper shreds - something that I have not seen before. Does anyone have more info on this type of insulation (Manufacturer? R-rating? More?)

I have not noticed any with printing before. Maybe it wasn't shreaded as finely.

Jim Luttrall
10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Shredded paper is pretty much the definition of "cellulose" insulation. Finding printing is not all that unusual if you look closely in my experience.

Rick Burkman
10-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I see quite a bit of cellulose, but this is the first time that I have seen pieces large enough to make out individual letters.

Jerry Peck
10-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I used to see that stuff (made from recycled newspaper) most of the time when I found cellulose insulation.