PDA

View Full Version : What is this called

Chris Kanyuck
10-19-2008, 07:03 AM
There is a picture on the left bottom of this page where the top of the chimney has fallen in. I have seen this several times but I do not know what the proper name is for this part of a chimney. Can someone tell me what this part of a chimney is called?

Ted Menelly
10-19-2008, 07:17 AM
There is a picture on the left bottom of this page where the top of the chimney has fallen in. I have seen this several times but I do not know what the proper name is for this part of a chimney. Can someone tell me what this part of a chimney is called?

Chimney cap

John Arnold
10-19-2008, 09:04 AM
or chimney crown.

Steve Lottatore
10-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Have always known it to be called a 'mortar crown'

Steve Lottatore
Bilt-Rite Property Inspections & Consutling, LLC

Brandon Whitmore
10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
I would hesitate to call it a mortar crown, since mortar is not really supposed to be used for that purpose. Concrete with steel re- enforcement is one proper way...........

My vote is for chimney crown.

Jerry Peck
10-20-2008, 06:15 AM

Chimney cap

or chimney crown.

Have always known it to be called a 'mortar crown'

I would hesitate to call it a mortar crown, since mortar is not really supposed to be used for that purpose.

"since mortar is not really supposed to be use" - but looks like it was used. ;)

In the case in the photo, then, is it a "mortar crown", supposed to be or not? :)

I know, the question was for the correct term, and the correct term for a correct item (the photo shows an incorrect item) would be:

Chimney cap

or chimney crown.

What does Bob H. call it? :D

In looking at the IRC, even it calls it ... sort of calls it ... Mortar Cap.

Mike Schulz
10-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I have only seen a couple of concrete crowns/caps that where installed overhanging the brick with a kerf. Just about all of them have a mortar crown and stop at the edge of the brick. Masons use the same mix as with laying the bricks.

Gunnar Alquist
10-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Like others, I call it a "crown" or a "chimney crown" and have heard it called a "crown wash". I got a good diagram from somewhere. Might be that someone from this site posted it or I could have downloaded it from the Brick Institute. I can't remember. If I got it from this site, I'm sure that I will be reminded.

Mike Schulz
10-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Here is another!

Ted Menelly
10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
It is a chimney cap that is crowned. It seals or caps the entire chimney of that sheds water over the edges of the chimney because it is crowned. Just so you know I call it both but essentially crowned or not it caps the chimney that is why I call it a cap most of the time.

Jim Robinson
10-26-2008, 08:52 PM
For some reason I was told it was called a wash cap, so that's what I've been calling it. Regional differences, I suppose.