PDA

View Full Version : Silicon caulk OK to join flue tiles above cap?

Michael Thomas
10-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Ignoring the condition of the cap, etc,, is silicon caulk really sufficient for this junction?

How to Repair a Smoky Exhaust Flue | Video | Water Heaters | This Old House (http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20047063,00.html)

Gunnar Alquist
10-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Ignoring the condition of the cap, etc,, is silicon caulk really sufficient for this junction?

I can't even imagine why you would want to. A tight connection is not important. However, my best guess is that material would not be approved for the temperatures that would be likely at the chimney cap.

Bob Harper
10-20-2008, 11:06 AM
This 'expert' has shot himself in the foot on TV more than once. Several problems with the video along with a few good things. He did reline the chimney, discuss negative pressure, CO, crossover btw FP and heater flues and duct sealing.

His method for extending the heater flue is not a code approved means and he used damaged flue tiles. Look at the edges. Ducts should have been sealed with duct mastic--not foil tape. A Pro should not be using matches to test draft. He didn't even discuss makeup air or combustion analysis. He didn't test to prove his liner works much less is better. Could have discussed the routing and configuration of the vent connector and the need to secure joints and support the pipe. No mention of condensation, cold flue or flue damage. Instead of a level II inspection, he never even visualized the flue, at least on camera.

I would have recommended a top damper on that Fp assuming the Fp passed a Level II inspection.

At least it is better than before he got there.

Jerry Peck
10-20-2008, 11:19 AM
He didn't test to prove his liner works much less is better.

At least it is better than before he got there.

Is it? :D

Bob Harper
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I was trying to be polite