PDA

View Full Version : HOME OWNER WOOD STOVE INSTALL

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
10-22-2008, 07:33 AM
HEY ALL

found this wood stove yesterday, and things don't look safe.

is there proper clearance to combustable material in that garage vent to chimney,and is that safe to have the vent pipe exposed like that in garage ??
last question,what is the code # for such,is it 1306.1 IRC

thanks
charlie

Michael Larson
10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Charlie,

That looks like type HT vent. It requires 2" clearance to combustibles.

On second look I see a paper label that I can't make out. What does it say?

It could be triple wall which usually requires 1" to combustibles.

HT should have a marking on the pipe but is is hard to make out sometimes as it is embossed in the metal.

It's best to consult the stove mfgs. instructions for clearances of the stove and vent.

Eric Barker
10-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Charlie,

I rarely see these things installed correctly - everything goes back to manufacturer specs which few people pay any attention to. In the garage there should be a chase around the vent so that combustibles cannot be set up against it. The brick behind the stove, if that's what it is, will generally have a 1 inch air space requirement between it and the wall behind it.

David OKeefe
10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
That vent pipe looks like it has dents in it, or is that just a reflection. It does need protection from combustibles and from being damaged or punctured.

Bob Harper
10-22-2008, 03:20 PM
The references for the stove installation itself revert back to the stove listed instructions. If the stove is not listed, then refer to NFPA 211.
If the brick wall is not ventilated with a 1" air space per NFPA 211, then it reduces the clearance to the combustible wall by 33%, whereas a the same brick with a 1" ventilated space yields a 66% reduction.

The factory chimney is solid packed listed to 103HT rated at 2,100F with a 2" clearance to combustibles. This chimney must be protected from damage or incidental contact by people. Also, the listed firestop/ radiation shield is missing.

Flag it for a Level II inspection and you're done.

Good catch Charile and thx for using lower case letters!