PDA

View Full Version : Gas Meter Location

Stuart Brooks
10-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Gas meter in living room enclosed in a wood box. Exterior through wall vent (3/4" inch galvanized pipe). Meter viewable through cutout. No main cutoff access unless out in street somewhere. Original house built in 1904. Addition ca. 1960. And yes, that is a 14" floor height differential without a safety rail or steps behind the meter box.

Would a meter installation like this be allowed even in the 60's?

Jerry McCarthy
10-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Not even in the 1860's !!!

Rick Hurst
10-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I would assume that the meter was outside of the structure originally, but the exterior wall has been opened up for a room addition. That probably explains the step down of the floor.

Gas meter inside the structure? NO can do. Well, they did do it but its wrong.:eek:

Jerry Peck
10-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I would assume that the meter was outside of the structure originally, but the exterior wall has been opened up for a room addition. That probably explains the step down of the floor.

Goes along with my thoughts too.

Enclosed carport into a room, removed part of wall, and ... Dang! Billy Bob, what are we going to do with this here gas meter? ... Well, thar ain't no permit, so we can't call the gas company, ummm, we'll just box 'er in and make an opening to read it from the outside - if the gas company does not complain, we'll be home free.

Yeah, that's a ... YIKES!

Michael Larson
10-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I grew up in a home that was built in the early 50s.

The gas meter was inside in the basement.

Reading Your Natural Gas Meter

Reading your own meter is one of the easiest ways to ensure that you are paying only for the natural gas you use. It is simple to do, and most companies will let you submit your meter reading over the phone or through the Internet.
Most natural gas companies attempt to obtain an actual meter reading every other month. From time to time, the natural gas company may not be able to get an actual reading from your meter. If your meter is inside your home (usually in the basement), behind a locked gate, or guarded by the family dog, you may see estimated readings on your natural gas bill. To get an estimated usage, the company uses a sophisticated formula that takes many factors, like the outside temperature, into account. For most customers, the difference between the estimated and actual usage is adjusted when the meter is read by the natural gas company the following month. However, for customers that have inaccessible meters, their bills may be estimated for several months in a row.

Markus Keller
10-27-2008, 07:07 AM
The gas meter inside the house is very typical up here in older homes. Basement, hallway, stairwell are typical. The in-ability to readily turn-off I would write up as a hazard. The particular location I would recommend to be changed also.

Jerry Peck
10-27-2008, 07:34 AM
From time to time, the natural gas company may not be able to get an actual reading from your meter. If your meter is inside your home (usually in the basement),

It is my understanding that the regulators, which are at the meter, are not allowed to be within 3 feet of a building opening. Putting the regulator directly inside seems to be much more absurd then being outside within 3 feet of a building opening.

If the gas meter is in the house, I would presume that the regulator was also. THAT (the regulator) is not allowed, as far as I understand.

Hopefully Bob H. will rely.

Jerry McCarthy
10-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Having a natural gas meter beneath a home in California is a bad idea. If the home is located near one of the major seismic faults it’s a terrible idea. When inspecting older homes where I found a gas meter located within the crawl space I always recommended my clients request the local utility company, usually the PG&E, (Pacific Gas & Electric) relocate it to an exterior location.
I’ve attached a schematic published by the PG&E regarding clearances, which may be handy for some of our left coast inspectors?

Stuart Brooks
10-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Goes along with my thoughts too.

Enclosed carport into a room, removed part of wall, and ... Dang! Billy Bob, what are we going to do with this here gas meter? ... Well, thar ain't no permit, so we can't call the gas company, ummm, we'll just box 'er in and make an opening to read it from the outside - if the gas company does not complain, we'll be home free.

Yeah, that's a ... YIKES!

Jerry, you should see the electric service drop! I don't know how the heck they got away with it. That was the question I asked myself when looking at it. Very guttsy or, more likely, very stupid.

Michael Larson
10-27-2008, 09:36 AM
What some are not considering is that the requirement is for the meter to be located in a ventilated area or that the relief port of the regulator can be piped to a ventilated area.

I'm not saying that the pictured item is OK but that are ways to make it so.

I see no harm in raising it as a concern and to having the local gas supplier provide some guidance on the matter.

Ted Menelly
10-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Looks like a home made bomb waiting to go off. I can only imagine if a slight leak occured in that box and filled it with gas and a spark were to happen anywhere close by.

"Well, that is where my addition and home use to be"