PDA

View Full Version : Counters next to kitchen range

Richard Hedrick
10-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I was asked to comment on a kitchen remodel regarding the placement of the kitchen stove.

Background:
The kitchen is separated from the living room by a 2x4 interior wall
The range is installed at the end of this wall see drawing

customer is being told that the range cannot be at the end of the wall and instead must be installed with a counter to the left of the stove.

I have not encountered this before, has anyone run into this before?

Rick Hurst
10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
As long as it is a free standing range and not a drop in I see no problem with it.

Could it be they cannot install the range exhaust hood above the noted location?

rick

Jerry Peck
10-29-2008, 05:52 PM
customer is being told that the range cannot be at the end of the wall and instead must be installed with a counter to the left of the stove.

Being told that by whom?

Read the installation instructions for the range, 'it may' state something to that effect.

Regardless, though, I would tell them the same thing 'you shouldn't install the range at the end like that'.

Why?

You really need a counter space on each side of the range for safety (to keep pots and pans back from the edge where they can get knocked off easily) and for food preparation (where you can set a pot or pan when taking it off the burner).

"Shouldn't", though, does not equal "not allowed to".

Is it possible that their "cannot be at the end" is also not the same as 'not allowed to be at the end"? One thing we bring up here is "common sense", and "common sense" says 'you cannot put a range at the end, that's dumb'. Yeah, and it is ... 'dumb'.

Richard Pultar
10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
change installer, so they can get what they want?? however nuts. the money trumps sense.

Wayne Carlisle
10-30-2008, 07:07 AM
May have been refering to this!

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148/1822929/5439194/340952672.jpg

Markus Keller
10-30-2008, 07:20 AM
I don't know if there is any Code for this. What I do know is that the kitchen designers, etc. I deal with won't draw up a kitchen without cabinet/counterspace on either side of the stove. They consider bad design, less than ideal and not exactly safe.
I'd look for a different installer.

Wayne Carlisle
10-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Just a note.
My post above comes from the 2006 IRC.