PDA

View Full Version : AC Condensor Location - This is a new one for me

imported_John Smith
10-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Older house with pool. AC condensing unit located about 60' from home with line set and electrical buried under ground. Thoughts?

Rick Hurst
10-31-2008, 03:51 PM
I had the same question sometime ago.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/heating-ventilation-air-conditioning-hvac-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/2108-buried-refrigerant-line-run-distance.html

Ted Menelly
10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
If I am not mistaken it is around 25 feet max before efficiency starts dropping of drastically/ Could be wrong

Vern Heiler
10-31-2008, 04:17 PM
If I am not mistaken it is around 25 feet max before efficiency starts dropping of drastically/ Could be wrong

I think that might be true with a heatpump in the heating mode, but don't see any reason for A/C or heatpump in the cooling mode.

imported_John Smith
10-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Im not sure why someone would do this other than they dont like the look of a condensor or the noise. I saw plenty of places around the house where they could have put it with minimal visual exposure/noise. I believe the electrical is only ran in the flex (if even that once its underground, hard to say).

At first, I thought I must be imagining things. I walked around the house several times before I finally found it (buried in a bunch of shrubbery). Also not an electrical disconnect in close proximity.

Vern Heiler
10-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Was the disconnect within sight of the unit?

Ron Bibler
10-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Where is the shut off ?

Best

Ron

imported_John Smith
10-31-2008, 05:00 PM
No separate shut off, however the main panel was somewhat within the line of sight (if you removed the vegetation around the condensing unit).

Vern Heiler
10-31-2008, 05:31 PM
No separate shut off, however the main panel was somewhat within the line of sight (if you removed the vegetation around the condensing unit).

Sounds like a judgement call, (IRC 4001.5 Disconnect in sight of equipment). I don't think I would write it up.

Jerry Peck
10-31-2008, 07:41 PM
From the other thread:

Check the manufactures' "long line" requirements, both horizontal and vertical separation have to be considered.

For example, here's Carrier's requirements for residential Puron units:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/llgp-2xa.pdf

Note line lengths of up to 200 feet (100 feet away), and up to 250 feet equivalent line lengths.