PDA

View Full Version : Clearance around vent gas fireplace

Bruce Ramsey
11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
I know the code says you must have a hearth 8x16 or 12x20 depending on the size of the opening of the firebox. The fireplace in question is only 24x30 so the smaller hearth would apply. I know the code says you must not have combustibles within 6 inches of the firebox.

My question is there any exception for gas fireplaces with sealed glass fronts? The fireplace in question only has 4 inches of clearance to combustibles and the hearth is not wide enough BUT it is a gas burning fireplace with a sealed glass front. No embers or sparks would be able to exit the fireplace to ignite surrounding stuff.

David Banks
11-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I know the code says you must have a hearth 8x16 or 12x20 depending on the size of the opening of the firebox. The fireplace in question is only 24x30 so the smaller hearth would apply. I know the code says you must not have combustibles within 6 inches of the firebox.

My question is there any exception for gas fireplaces with sealed glass fronts? The fireplace in question only has 4 inches of clearance to combustibles and the hearth is not wide enough BUT it is a gas burning fireplace with a sealed glass front. No embers or sparks would be able to exit the fireplace to ignite surrounding stuff.

Did you find a Data Plate? That should have all clearance issues for you.
If not try to find make and model on web. (Installation Guide)

Jerry Peck
11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Not knowing what model that is, I picked one ( http://www.heatilator.com/downloads/installManuals/4055_187.PDF ) and the clearances in your photo seem to be okay to it.

See pages:
18 for alcove installation clearances
19 for combustible flooring in front of it

Go here ( Gas Fireplaces - Direct Vent Fireplace Models - Heatilator Fireplaces (http://www.heatilator.com/products/fireplaces/gasFireplaces.asp) ) and click on the model that is.

Bruce Ramsey
11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks! Just what I needed.

Richard Pultar
11-14-2008, 12:35 AM
this is not a fireplace .....it is a gas appliance..
it does need some clearances per specs
it gets a vent or not per specs
it does not get a chimney
the only reason for a hearth on the floor is for decoration

Jerry Peck
11-14-2008, 07:50 AM
this is not a fireplace .....it is a gas appliance..

Which in this case is a gas fireplace.

It is not a "masonry fireplace", but that gas appliance can be called a gas fireplace.

From the IRC:

- SECTION G2434 (604)
- - VENTED GAS FIREPLACES
- - - (DECORATIVE APPLIANCES)

it does need some clearances per specs

Unless the specs say -0- clearance. Such as that shown in the MMI I posted the link to - see page 19.

Richard Pultar
11-20-2008, 12:00 AM
When I see a gas fireplace they have always had hearths. Or they were elevated . I always look at mfg spec's ,I get a kick out of the different requirements for what appears to be the same condition. What do you think about that picture with that fireplace set back in that alcove made by the bookcases on both sides.My gut reaction is that the radiant heat to the sides is hairy. I can't remember ever reading about projection distance clearances to the opening of the fire box. I never saw anything like that picture. Thanks for the info

Jerry Peck
11-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Not knowing what model that is, I picked one ( http://www.heatilator.com/downloads/installManuals/4055_187.PDF ) and the clearances in your photo seem to be okay to it.

See pages:
18 for alcove installation clearances
19 for combustible flooring in front of it

Unless the specs say -0- clearance. Such as that shown in the MMI I posted the link to - see page 19.

What do you think about that picture with that fireplace set back in that alcove made by the bookcases on both sides.

Richard,

Did you click on the link I provided?

Did you go to page 19 as I stated?

That should answer your question about alcoves.

You will find that the dimension for G is 1" wider wider (i.e., 1/2" each side) than dimension A. To know what I am referring to as G and A, you will need to click on that link, go to page 19, and review that drawing.