PDA

View Full Version : Unusual floor framing in crawlspace

Lou Collier
11-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Since we are discussing floor framing in another thread, I thought I would post this picture of some framing in a crawlspace. I will let you guess as to the purpose of this framing. The winner gets a doggy biscuit. ;)

Ted Menelly
11-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Not sure what that is all about. You can see the 1x3 between the joists already. Very interesting.

Do those 4x4 go up thru the floor and those 2x4 are to keep the 4x4 stiff.

John Arnold
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
And what's up with those screws in the floor blocking? Do they have any bearing on this mystery?

If that was my crawlspace I suppose I might use that "framing" to store odd lengths of pipe or trim, or, hey, how about a couple of kayaks? Would kayaks fit in there?

Jerry Peck
11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
That is to help stabilize studs in a partial height wall. Being as the wall does not go from floor to ceiling, the wall needed to be stabilized.

Such a wall might be a kitchen wall with upper cabinets on it.

Other than that, I have no idea. :)

Jerry McCarthy
11-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree with EC Jerry.
BTW, how many times have we seen the floor joist herringbone nailed off - NOT?

As a young apprentice carpenter it was my job to lie on my back and nail-off the herringbone after the floor received its dead load. I was under there miserable as can be when I noticed not only was it dark but very quiet. I crawled out from under the floor and everybody had gone home.
It was 5:30 PM. :eek:

John Arnold
11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Very interesting.
I didn't want a doggie biscuit anyway.

Lou Collier
11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
The doggie biscuit goes to EC Jerry.

John, those are not screws, but nails in the cross bridging that never got nailed off. As WC Jerry said, it was a pain to nail off and often was left undone.

Raymond Wand
11-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Is this a partially load bearing wall?

Gunnar Alquist
11-14-2008, 04:15 PM
That is to help stabilize studs in a partial height wall. Being as the wall does not go from floor to ceiling, the wall needed to be stabilized. Such a wall might be a kitchen wall with upper cabinets on it. Other than that, I have no idea. :)

Hey JP,

You are just too quick with the keyboard. You need to give the rest of us more time to show off our knowledge. :rolleyes:

Ted Menelly
11-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I want a biscuit as well. I said just about the same thing. Darn it. Where is my bicuit. I could use a snack

Billy Stephens
11-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I want a biscuit as well. I said just about the same thing. Darn it. Where is my bicuit. I could use a snack
Here you Go! :D

Lou Collier
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
You're right, Ted, I thing you also deserve a biscuit. Looks like Billy already took care of you.

Raymond, as you can see, it is not a bearing wall. I imagine you typed that before I posted the second set of pictures.

Kevin Barre
11-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Looks like some beautiful fir lumber to me...

Don't see that too much anymore.

Richard Pultar
11-14-2008, 09:05 PM
better than nothing, looks like a bus driver turned carpenter kind of job.