PDA

View Full Version : Direct vent and openable window

Reis Pearson
11-15-2008, 09:12 AM
New construction... Direct vent fireplace in a living room with an openable window directly above it. Is there any reason why this might be okay? I'm having a hard time believing that no one else caught this before an occupancy certificate was given.

David Banks
11-15-2008, 10:30 AM
New construction... Direct vent fireplace in a living room with an openable window directly above it. Is there any reason why this might be okay? I'm having a hard time believing that no one else caught this before an occupancy certificate was given.

Most Direct Vents only require 1 foot clearance to open able windows.
Mechanical vents 4 feet. Check Install manual on web if you took name and model number.

Jerry Peck
11-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Reis,

What type of siding/panel system is that?

John Arnold
11-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Reis,

Whatever it is, it ugly.

Reis Pearson
11-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Reis,

Hardiplank... very popular around here.

David Banks
11-16-2008, 07:23 AM

Looks like an apartment house in the Soviet Union.

Jerry Peck
11-16-2008, 03:20 PM

Reis,

That's not HardiePlank.

It might be HardiePanel, except that does not look like HardiePanel (surface texture) nor does that vertical joint treatment look like anything shown in the HardiePanel installation instructions ... thus I suspect it is not HardiePanel either.

Reis Pearson
11-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Reis,

That's not HardiePlank.

It might be HardiePanel, except that does not look like HardiePanel (surface texture) nor does that vertical joint treatment look like anything shown in the HardiePanel installation instructions ... thus I suspect it is not HardiePanel either.

Pardon... yes, it's Hardipanel, this was actually done as a rain screen system.

Randy Aldering
11-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Check the manufacturer's instructions carefully. It is surprising what has become acceptable under the new building codes. One example is attached. In the instance of a direct-vented fireplace producing less than 50,000 btu, it can be as close as 9 inches to an operable window. Not the healthiest thing, in my own opinion, but it is allowed by code. The code refers the code official to the manufacturer installation guide.

Mike Schulz
11-25-2008, 04:29 PM
It's not a good idea but really how many people open a window in the winter while the heat is running.

Tim Ball
09-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Mike, I'm installing an oil fired water heater that's 148,000 btu. Does this appliance then need 4' to an opening window or door? Thanks, Tim

Mike Schulz
09-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Tim,

Read post #2. and "always" read the manufactures requirements for they provide the answer you seek.