PDA

View Full Version : polarity tester

Paul Johnston
11-24-2008, 04:36 AM
Hi All,
I have two polarity testers and at a home the other day both (when plugged in) had a very dim amber light on the right. 60 % of the outlets tested like that. Outlets had 110V and wired correctly. Outlets carried a load OK. (microwave on one)
Anyone had this problem?
Brought them home and they worked fine in my home.
Thanks
Paul

Richard Moore
11-24-2008, 05:01 AM
If it's a fairly "standard" 3-light tester, I believe that would indicate a very poor grounding connection...somewhere. With 60% testing like that, I would first suspect something screwed up at the panel but it could be elsewhere. How do they wire homes in Costa Rica? NM-cable or some type of conduit? Got a picture of the panel?

Paul Johnston
11-24-2008, 05:57 AM
You would not believe what I see here. No rules no codes.

Richard Moore
11-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Yikes! Isn't that...ummm...colorful!!!

Tough to tell what the hell is going on with all the green wires, but it looks like a lot of circuit grounds have been simply cut-off and just left there at the lower left side. I'd say that is beyond diagnosis from here.

Good luck down there!

Jerry Peck
11-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Yikes! Isn't that...ummm...colorful!!!

Paul, Richard,

That is done so the electrician does not dare "assume" anything! :eek:

They gotta get the multi-meter out and CHECK *EVERY THING THEY ARE GOING TO TOUCH*!

For a electrician working under those conditions, I would think it would not take them long to 'pal around with' other electricians in the area and say ''Hey, guys, how about we get together and start using some sort of color code. I am sure that each of you spends as much time as I do in making sure I do not kill myself every time I go to touch something. How about it?" :rolleyes:

Paul Johnston
11-25-2008, 03:47 AM
Believe it or not Jerry you will not find 1 in 25 (claim to be electricians) that have a multimeter. As you can see they mark and color code nothing.
It is an impossible night mare to try and trace a problem here. Splices are done in the concrete walls and twist and tape is the norm.
Thanks for the help.

Shannon Guinn
11-25-2008, 06:09 AM

But they have inspectors? Odd.

I like the panel though, it's all Christmasy!