PDA

View Full Version : Cheap trash

Ron Bibler
12-03-2008, 11:19 AM
New construction materials. I was looking at the news. looks like we have a new problems on the way from the economy. With all the recycling that has been going on over the years. they got the price of used plastic and paper products up to $ 125.00 a ton. but the cost of this used stuff is down to $ 25.00 bucks a ton now. they are low on cash and can not run the companies on these cost... they were looking at a tax hike on our wast and transfer/ trash bill. to cover the cost of all this recycling.....
I think they should just make building materials out of this stuff. that should lower the cost of home some what...:D Has this hit you are yet?
We will have some 2000 or 3000 people out of work in our area. China is not buying this stuff and we have an over stock sitting around the San Francisco bay...

Any body want to buy some cheap trash...

Best

Ron

Jim Robinson
12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Is the price now $25, where it used to be $125 / ton. I'm a little confused by your post. Maybe so many more people have been adding to the recycling stream that there is now an overabundance of supply? What is the "real market value" of the trash? joking

Ron Bibler
12-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes it was $ 125 and now its $ 25 a ton. China and the other have stop buying up our trash and so it sits around. they have stop selling cars and other stuff that they made out of the trash.

Best

Ron

Matt Fellman
12-03-2008, 09:41 PM
The wild fluctuations in commodoties over the last year has really thrown a wrench into a lot of systems. I think somebody forgot to tell all the methheads around my town that the metal they are stealing isn't worth that much anymore.

I wonder if the price of meth goes up and down along with the price of metal and other junk you can steal and pawn?

Ian Janssen
12-07-2008, 12:03 PM
This is a problem in Canada too. I just heard on the news that the recycling industry is looking for warehouses to store products for recycling. They make decking material out of recycled plastic and I'm sure more products can be made also. It's time to petition our governments and industries to develop this industry too. We have to get people working so they can get out buying homes.

Jerry Peck
12-07-2008, 01:06 PM
They make decking material out of recycled plastic ...

Some of the problems with using recycled plastics for many building materials are:
- weight, the products weigh a lot compared to wood
- strength, the products have little strength as there is no "grain" to give them tension strength like wood has
- ability to accept coatings (paint and stain)
- energy, thermal resistance - when the sun shines on them, they get quite hot.

Leigh Goodman
12-08-2008, 12:49 PM
local paper recycling effort was getting 125.00 per ton until recently. Now it is negative 20.00. You pay them to take it.