PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Seen This Before???

Sean Bacon
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM
1st question:

Did a frame 1-story house today that had the built-up beams sticking out of the wall. The interior side of this wall had paneling over it and I could not see how the beam inserted into the wall. I have never seen this before and just asking if some one else has. Are there any inherent problems with this. My initial thought is rot potential or WDO potential.
Present owner lived there for 10 years and this was prior to her.

Second Question:

Appears to be a temporary jack with no footing. Could have been in place for 30 years. Did not get any identifying info off of the jack itself.

I'm assuming I should request "Further Evaluation by a qualified structural engineer"

Thanks for your responses.

Sean

Gunnar Alquist
12-08-2008, 07:47 PM
The pockets go all the way through the foundation? That is unusual. I occasionally see pockets in the foundation, but have not seen one go all the way through. I would say that you have it right. It is likely to rot out over time.

Are you sure that there is no footing? Could there be a footing under the slab? My own reaction would depend on what I saw. In this case, I might mention that I cannot tell if there is a footing, but that I did not see anything that was a problem.

Eric Barker
12-08-2008, 08:08 PM
The support column is too clean to have been there for long. There's no rusting of the base plate and if you look about a foot further down the beam there's a square that's not painted - previous support column? Looks like BX used to run along the beam. I'd say that something's been redone. As for the beam through the foundation - nice job!

Brandon Whitmore
12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I see the beams through the foundation occasionally in this area. I always write it up and recommend they protect the beam. Some sheet metal flashing should protect the beam end well, although you don't have the current required 1/2" air space (then again none of the old homes do)

Ron Bibler
12-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Erick is correct that has not been there very long at most few months.
Look at the arc welding. ( no rust ) arc welding like that will rust in a very short time. the heat will burn off any oil in the steel.
I see beams pockets like that in healdsburg on older homes from the 50 and 60. some cracking at the beam pocket.

I don't see any evidence of fungus or termites.

We have an area in Calif down buy the S.F. bay. lost of basements and i have seen a few like it.

Refer on permits and an S.E.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller
12-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Sean:

IRC Commentary Figure R502.6.2(1) indicates the requirement for 1/2" clearance at both sides of the girder.

Aaron

Richard Pultar
12-10-2008, 01:53 AM
adjustable jack looks good .. doubt it if the new post is not grabbing some of whatever was below the old lally column . this is inside. a spread footling is ok
This would not get a footing anyway .. just a haunch
There is probably not much more than 2 tons of load on that point with no evidence of stress . Might only last 200 more years

Jim Zborowski
12-10-2008, 06:42 AM
The picture of the base of the post looks like there was floor covering, probably tile from the looks of it. Appears to have not been disturbed, as would be expected if they had cut the floor and put a footing under it. My guess is the post is bearing on the floor.

Jerry Peck
12-10-2008, 07:37 AM
this is inside. a spread footling is ok
This would not get a footing anyway .. just a haunch

Appears to have not been disturbed, as would be expected if they had cut the floor and put a footing under it. My guess is the post is bearing on the floor.

Big difference between those two posts.

Richard,

Do you know that a "floor slab" is not the same as a "spread footing"?

What is the typical minimum thickness of a "floor slab"?

What is the typical minimum thickness of a "spread footing"?

You do realize they are not the same, right?

Steve Frederickson
12-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Any chance that the house was moved? I've seen beam pockets like this when they move a house and then they build the foundation under the moved house and block up around the end of the beam. They usually cut the beam first so that the end is not exposed to the weather... just a thought.