PDA

View Full Version : A Little Hypocritical

Joe Nernberg
05-15-2007, 07:12 PM
A new condensing unit was installed by a home warranty vendor. In California, this unit must be raised 3-inches above grade and anchored. No building permit found for same.

Typically, a home warranty policy will exclude coverage if they can justify an improper installation or code violation. Does this seem hypocritical to you?

Rick Cantrell
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
That is surprising to me, after all, insurance companies, always hire the best and most qualified people to do repairs, without regard to expense.;)

Rick Hurst
05-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Joe,

That looks like the typical condo type installation we see around here.

Grade around here is the soil to installers, so take in consideration the 3-4 inches of that concrete and you have your 3 inches. :)

I see they don't strap the electrical wiring there either. Is the disconnect around the corner?

Scott Patterson
05-16-2007, 07:01 AM
A new condensing unit was installed by a home warranty vendor. In California, this unit must be raised 3-inches above grade and anchored. No building permit found for same.

Typically, a home warranty policy will exclude coverage if they can justify an improper installation or code violation. Does this seem hypocritical to you?

You need a building permit in your area to replace a condensing unit?

The 3" pad or raised height above the grade is the norm around the country from what I have seen. In fact I think many of the manufacturers require them. But the unit in your picture is sitting on a concrete pad already, so unless it is in an area that is prone to high water it would be a moot point raising it up another 3". When the code states "grade", I take that as the earthen ground.

Thom Walker
05-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Permits are required here, as well. Apparently, some confusion must have existed. In the attached "What Doesn't require a permit" City link you'll see where they specifically emphasized condensing units.

Official web site for City of Corpus Christi, Texas (http://www.cctexas.com/?fuseaction=main.view&page=354)