PDA

View Full Version : foundation this can be correct

tim reaves
12-11-2008, 05:09 PM
In the photo you can see the foundation thin the bottom plate and then a piece of plywood shimming up the outside band Joist. could this type of shimming have been approved.

Richard Pultar
12-11-2008, 05:14 PM
ask who ever approved it

Jerry Peck
12-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Tim,

No, plus, with that anchor bolt shown holding that sill down, I suspect there should be some uplift straps too.

It does not good to hold the sill plate down and not strap the stuff above it to the sill plate.

A.D. Miller
12-12-2008, 05:06 AM
In the photo you can see the foundation thin the bottom plate and then a piece of plywood shimming up the outside band Joist. could this type of shimming have been approved.

No.

Plus:

(1) Softwood shims on th top of the pier are wrong.
(2) Girder (beam) is not properly built.
(3) Insulation batts are backwards with the vapror retarder facing the crawl space.

Aaron

A.D. Miller
12-12-2008, 05:07 AM

Sorry I forgot:

(4) Girder (beam) not centered on top of pier.

Aaron:(

Jerry Peck
12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Aaron,

If you are going to get into everything you see, those "soft wood shims" you see is a piece of plywood, and plywood is does not make a suitable shim.

It is much easier to make a list of what one sees correct in that photo, such as:

1)

(well, I tried to find something correct)

Rick Hurst
12-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Noticed that there is no termite shield installed on the pier either.

Aaron,
That infamous SE here in Dallas that we all have come to know over the years says that the girder beam does not have to be exactly centered over the pier as long as 60% of the beam is on top of the pier. Have you heard this?

rick

tim reaves
12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
the whole foundation needs to be reviewed by a engineer. how about the bottom of the trusts not sitting on top of the top plate.

Rick Hurst
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Tim,

I agree with you. The more pics you post, the worse it gets.

The only difference is I see no need to recommend a "review" by a Structural Engineer. I just state that the foundation needs to be repaired by a Reputable foundation company familar with Pier and Beam foundations and note what I've seen.

Why have the client spend the 300+ dollars on a SE to tell them it needs repairs which you have already told them.

JMHO

Rick