PDA

View Full Version : Skylight terminology question

Michael Thomas
12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Is the frame (operable or otherwise) holding the glass at a skylight called a sash, or something else?

Rick Hurst
12-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Are you talking of the "curb"?

mike huntzinger
12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Would the term FRAME be of use. IE window frame

Michael Thomas
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Humm... trying to answer my own question:

http://buybuildingsupplies.com.au/images/fs_skylight.gif

looks like the "frame" holding the glazing is a sash - even if the sash is fixed- and the frame of the skylight forms the curb...

Jerry McCarthy
12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Michael, Google "window sash" and you will henceforth be an expert on the definition of window sash.

Rick Cantrell
12-12-2008, 03:43 PM
"Google "window sash" and you will henceforth be an expert on the definition of window sash"

Wow, I can be an expert just by using Goggle.
Don't have to send no money or nothing?
Man this IS a great site.
Thanks Jerry:D

Jerry Peck
12-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Michael,

On a fixed skylight, the "frame" and "sash" would be the same.

On an operable skylight, the "frame" is what holds the "sash".

Mike,

The "curb" is what is built onto the roof and flashed to from the roof, the skylight "frame" is then set on the curb and flashed to it (typically setting the frame over the curb 'self-flashes' the frame to the curb by way of becoming the counter-flashing over the base flashing from the roof.

Charles Smith
12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Can't tell you how many times I have found 1) the metal skylight frame is not secured to the curb (leaking inside conditioned air like a sieve); 2) Mr Handyman has sealed the top "weep" (drain) feature with silicone 3) or Mr Roofer has cemented (tar) the bottom of the metal frame so the moisture can't drain out as designed.

What Handy Roofer didn't figure out... is the original "leak" problem is the roof flashing (leaking) around the curb area.