PDA

View Full Version : stem wall issues

Ron Bishop
12-13-2008, 03:59 PM
The concrete stem wall that I inspected yesterday did not reveal any specific defects, however there were some abnormalities:

Portions of the stem wall bulged outward at the base.
The stem wall was covered with a cement coating, making it impossible to see what was under it without using invasive or destructive force.No one knows when this house was built, but I beleive it was built in the 30's.

I am not sure if there is a reportable condition here, and would like some feedback from you pros on how to properly enter this into my report.

Thank you kindly...

Rick Hurst
12-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Ron,

It appears to be a pier and beam foundation, was there anything of concern on the back side of this wall in the crawlspace. Most foundations that have a parge coat on a home of that age is trying to cover up something like spalling, cracks or exposed iron.

Rick

Ron Bishop
12-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Parts of the interior portions of stem wall looked normal, but others looked like they were patched and filled.

Jerry Peck
12-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Looks like the form work was insufficient and blew out on them while pouring the concrete walls.

Horrible parging too.

Ron Bishop
12-13-2008, 09:46 PM
that's a good point

Ron Bibler
12-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Hey Ron your in my old stomping grounds. How is the market there?
I moved out due to slow times back in 1995 or 1996.

Most of the time when i see the foundation covered with a cement they were covering up pockets and voids so any inspector would think it was OK.

One think to call out as a defect. that the covering will provide a safe entrance for termites and may cause an excessive moisture condition.

Best

Ron

Ron Bishop
12-14-2008, 07:25 AM
The market is slow out here, but I am managing to eeek out a living, mostly due to the foreclosure market.