PDA

View Full Version : Electrical cable insulation cover

John Stephenson
05-16-2007, 04:17 PM

Jim Robinson
05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I was always told to remove it because it was a flammable material from inside the panel.

Jerry Peck
05-16-2007, 04:59 PM
With everything else which is wrong in that panel ... I would only mention it in passing, as in ...

Get a QUALIFIED and LICENSED electrical contractor out to correct all the sh*t in this panel, including, but not limited to: (make list, including that item - but that is the least of their problems).

Only I always said it nicer in my reports. :D

Jerry Peck
05-16-2007, 06:06 PM
I'd just like to know if the sheathing in panel causing overheating to the conductor.

For practical intents and purposes, no.

With sophisticated equipment, I'm sure one could measure a slight increase after a while with a load on it, however, it would not be a problem.

I'm not recalling anything which prohibits sloppy work like that, other than ones own pride in their work (which, obviously, was non-existent there).

That is, other than the vague:
- NEC
- - 110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
- - - Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

Jerry Peck
05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I've wondered why the sheathing wasn't allowed more than 1 1/2 " (?) into panel.

I keep seeing HIs saying 1-1/2" or thereabouts, any idea where you got it from?

"Workmanship" would put it such that the outer sheather was trimmed off 'just inside the strain relief clamp'.

I don't see where it would cause overheating or any other issue.

I don't see were running an NM cable, sheath and all, up almost to the breaker, then slit the sheath far enough to allow the grounding conductor to reach the grounding terminals, the neutral conductor to reach the neutral terminals, and the hot conductor to reach the breaker. Sure, it would "look" *ugly as sin*, but I don't know what problems it would cause, other than contributing to physical excess fill - but if the sheath puts you into an 'overfill' condition, I suspect it was already overfilled with conductors.

Anyone have an authoritative source on that 1-1/2"? I mean a *real* authoritative source.