PDA

View Full Version : Excessive moisture open beam ceiling

Ron Bibler
12-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Excessive moisture condition on inside areas of the open beam ceiling and T&G. Bank REO. been sitting for 6 months or longer. See the photos areas noted the white mold. Has 2X8 On top of the T&G decking and unknown type of insulation. roof looks in good shape for the most part around 7 years old. what do you think. Condensation problems?

Best

Ron

John Arnold
12-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Don't you love it when an annoying home inspector replies to something other than your actual question?

Like this:

That deck/balcony railing is no good! The spaces are too big and the horizontal pieces can be used as a ladder for young tots to climb up and then fall over!

And then the annoying HI says: "But you knew that."

Thanks for asking.

Ron Bibler
12-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Don't you love it when an annoying home inspector replies to something other than your actual question?

Like this:

That deck/balcony railing is no good! The spaces are too big and the horizontal pieces can be used as a ladder for young tots to climb up and then fall over!

And then the annoying HI says: "But you knew that."

Thanks for asking.

What.:eek: Should I have put that in my report?

Best

Ron

Jerry Peck
12-27-2008, 06:35 PM
The overhead service drop is also too close to that deck (to the left) and that operable window (to the right).

Back to your question, though ...

I'd suspect that the insulation is rigid foam, that the roof has leaked, getting the foam insulation wet.

Probably leaking around the chimney, see how much darker the ceiling wood is around the chimney.

Ted Menelly
12-28-2008, 11:10 AM
The overhead service drop is also too close to that deck (to the left) and that operable window (to the right).

Back to your question, though ...

I'd suspect that the insulation is rigid foam, that the roof has leaked, getting the foam insulation wet.

Probably leaking around the chimney, see how much darker the ceiling wood is around the chimney.

I agree with all that except I believe it to be a past leak as the roof is seven years old. I agree with rigid foam insulation as well. If it was a present leak I think you would see wet would not some white rot.. Don't think it is white rot either just the poly on the would from getting wet in the past from behind.

Jerry Peck
12-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I agree with all that except I believe it to be a past leak as the roof is seven years old..

If it was a past leak, the insulation "should have been replaced" when the roof covering was replaced, but ... that would have cost more, so the wet insulation was most likely left in place.

Timothy M. Barr
12-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I do a lot of bank repo. Most of them have been sitting for 6 mnths or longer. With no heat to dry the place humity buids up there. Seen it it new homes as well as old. I have tested many of this ,it comes back as smuts. Once heat is put in the place and the mold is wiped down ,it doesn't come back. I see a lot of this in basements

Robert Dalga
12-29-2008, 07:17 AM
You said you noted the 'white mold'. I'd be careful in saying that specifically unless you had it tested in the lab of course (did you?). If so, what were the lab findings (just curious)...not toxic I hope.

Ted Menelly
12-29-2008, 08:06 AM
White rot and brown rot if treated with a borate or bleach solution don't come backFind it a lot in crawls. Usual hit it with a wire brush and spray it dow. I never tell the folks it is mold. Saying white rot or brown rot is not alarming compared to using the mold word. If you express it strongly enough about needing treatment before it turns the wood into soft rotten debris everything is fine.

Richard Thacker
12-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Ron,

You may never, as the home inspector, discover the reason for the staining but you could infer that the stains and mold like growth are located at or near the chimney roof penetration and ridge vent (if any), then suggest your next course of action. Don't get yourself too worked up on trying figure out what is the cause of what. The fact remains that there are water stains, and mold and something caused it. Your job is to detect and report, let the other guys figure out what caused it.

Remember you are the inspector, you are in control and your clients depend on you for an answer. So take your client by the hand, look them in the eye and confidently tell them "I don't know what caused it."

But the other guys are also right about the other observations from the photo. You should never include a photo that contains so much information, unless you are confident on what is in the photo, especially to a group of other home inspectors with too much time on their hands.

Terry Beck
12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
While it is easy to first presume that the moisture is from a roof leak, that may be a big mistake, especially in cooler climates. A friend of mine has a home with a similar vaulted, or cathedral, ceiling. Then one day it started to rain, inside the living room. No, there were no roof leaks. Condensation had just built up over time until it finally came right through the T&G ceiling.

Older codes required some sort of venting, even in cathedral ceiling (though of course, many builders don't follow code). My experience is that you may be better off with a ceiling that is completely filled with foam insulation, prevent air spaces and opportunities for condensation. There's a good article on building science.com, "understanding attic ventilation".

I am beginning to belive that condensation is a much more pervasive and potentially destructive form of moisture problems than leaks. and therefore more of a health hazard.

Markus Keller
12-29-2008, 07:04 PM
We had a closet in the enclosed back porch of our old house finished with the same planking. It outside wall had the same problem. Never could quite find a leak ... then one year I tore all the all asphalt siding off, insulated and applied new dutchlap vinyl ... in a month or so? the white was gone and never came back.
I'm thinking leak.

Stephen Houmard
12-31-2008, 05:52 AM
We see this in Charleston SC. The bank turns off the power, the humidity builds up and creates mildew ( clients don't jump when you say mildew....I have mildew in my shower). When the homes ac is running the humidity levels drop and the mildew disapears.....

I hope.

Richard M. Pinkerton
01-10-2009, 12:43 AM
I am curious about the area of moisture affect. Just how long was that fan on in reverse mode to draw the moisture from the living quarters and condensing it in the area of air stop from the fan blades?
Ceiling fans are designed to push warm air down, but have the ability to pull warm air up as well.
Room Blade Size Max sq. ft. * Great Room / Living Room60" +625Master Bedroom / Den / Living Room50" - 56"485Bathroom / Office / Kitchen / Childs' Room42" - 48"225Laundry Room / Bathroom29" - 36"100
Also, how long is the suspension pole? I would venture to say way too short for the open area it is servicing.
Ceiling height Allowable drop
8'= short stem
9'= 6"
10'= 12"
11'= 18"
12'= 24"
13'= 36"
14'= 48"
15'= 60"

Yes, the Handrail Guards exceed limitations as set forth in the IBC 1013.3 and violate ADA regulations. This is a serious Insurance issue at this point.
I'm not that versed in electrical, but should that exterior main house feed have that much distance between house and pipe at the bend?