PDA

View Full Version : floor drains

daniel nantell
12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Does any one pour water into floor drains in basements to see if they are working ??????????????

Jim Luttrall
12-28-2008, 09:36 PM
What's a basement?? ;)

daniel nantell
12-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Place where northern rednecks hide out.

Timothy M. Barr
12-29-2008, 07:09 AM
If a water sorce is near by and a container to use. I seen a termite inspector pee in one does that count?

Richard Thacker
12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I once poured expired beer down one.

Don't know what was more blasphemous; expired beer or pouring it out.

Jack Feldmann
12-29-2008, 02:03 PM
NO I DON'T!!!!

Ted Menelly
12-29-2008, 03:17 PM
NO I DON'T!!!!

I take it that your comment is about the Northern Redneck remark

Jim Zborowski
12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
First of all, us northerners ( most of us ) have basements, usually made of poured concrete. A lot of these are nothing more than a place for the furnace and storage. Many of the newer ones are finished basements to add living area. They do make good tornado shelters around here.

Second, I never pour water in to test if they drain. if they don't drain, they usually show signs of ongoing water staining. I do however advise the prospective owner to periodically pour water in to ensure the trap is full to prrevent sewer gas from entering. I do however visually check to make sure it is the correct style trap.

Rick Hurst
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Jim,

I've always heard the best way to keep a floor drain trap from drying out is to pour some type of oil like Crisco or Wesson in it. Many of the restaurants do this to keep that sewer gas from backing up. Water would just evaporate.

rick

Jerry Peck
12-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Jim,

I've always heard the best way to keep a floor drain trap from drying out is to pour some type of oil like Crisco or Wesson in it. Many of the restaurants do this to keep that sewer gas from backing up. Water would just evaporate.

rick

There should be a trap primer to keep it primed, probably off the laundry in the basement.

Jack Feldmann
12-29-2008, 07:23 PM
MY comment was to the OP. I do not pour water down floor drains.

I have no idea what a northern redneck is. I am not from the north, nor am I a redneck.

Ted Menelly
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
MY comment was to the OP. I do not pour water down floor drains.

I have no idea what a northern redneck is. I am not from the north, nor am I a redneck.

Just kidding Jack. I knew you were talking about pouring water in the drain.

Jack Feldmann
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Sorry Ted, I didn't see you wink.

Ted Menelly
12-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry Ted, I didn't see you wink.

No problem. Sometimes it is fun to keep folks thinking a little. I knew you would take it that way. Besides. There are red necks up north as well. They just hide behind the trees. Actually they call themselves hicks.

Bob Elliott
12-29-2008, 10:17 PM
It would be a waste of time.
You are not responsible for that in any SOP and are you going to pour how much?

When is enough ?

All you are doing is adding to liability if you do it it one place and not the other.

Water may not be near by ,and you could end up running up and down the stairs.
As mentioned above you will find signs of any problems.They can back up for reasons not even related to the property plumbing,such as from the public system or have cracked tiles that you might need a sewer cam for.

Jim Zborowski
12-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Jack, Even though the term redneck is used as a demeaning connotation to describe an uncouth, uneducated indivdual, it is a term used to describe very brave and heroic individuals fighting for their beliefs in the early days of our country. As a matter of fact, they were primarily from the Virginia and Kentucky areas. The entire story is quite fascinating, and lengthy. If you have time, look it up, or watch for it to be on the History Channel as they did a show on it awhile ago. I'm sure it'll be on again. So, it turns out being called a redneck is actually a compliment.

Richard Thacker
12-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Where I come from, a redneck ain't nothin but an uppity hillbilly with a 6th grade education.:D

Ted Menelly
12-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Where I come from, a redneck ain't nothin but an uppity hillbilly with a 6th grade education.:D

Now that was a good one :)

Timothy M. Barr
12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
we al go too ten grade now