PDA

View Full Version : Busted!

Joe Nernberg
05-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I inspected a mobile home this afternoon. Same one I inspected in June of last year. Still vacant, same listing agent and no repairs made. More leaks. I asked my client if she knew I had previously inspected this home and she did not. Nothing in the disclosures and no mention of a previous inspection (and I sent the real estate agent a copy).

Between me and this message board, there is nothing terrible about the home, but my client is at Def Com 3. Seller and real estate agent have a very low approval rating. It was an extreme coiincidence that I got the referral for this job.

Bruce Breedlove
05-16-2007, 11:26 PM
If I were you I wouldn't expect a Christmas card from that agent this year.

Erby Crofutt
05-17-2007, 04:39 AM
Good for you, Joe!

By the way it's Def Co"N" 3 (defense condiiton)

Was there anything in your previous report that SHOULD have been disclosed prior to your 2nd inspection.

I used to be, but am not anymore, so confused over why some people can't just be honest. Someone's going to buy the damn thing, and probably make money off it in the long run, sooner or later. Why not be honest and avoid the problems.

I recently did one where the sellers (all four were real estate agents/flippers) failed to disclose a previous fire. All were dinged by the Real Estate Commission, yeah just dinged.

Joe Nernberg
05-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks Erby. Several conditions should have been disclosed (see photos). BTW, client called and asked if she could attend the inspection. The real estate agent advised against it. I insisted she attend.

If the deal bombs, it will be a result of a stupid real estate agent. A shame for the seller because the home has been vacant for nearly a year.

Randy Aldering
05-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Good for you, Joe. Your client comes first, and Christmas cards from real estate agents generally go in File 13 any way. It's too bad people can't be honest, and it's too bad real estate boards aren't harder on dishonest agents. Their licenses should be pulled and these people should be barred from working in real estate or any other position of public trust.

Joe Nernberg
05-20-2007, 09:19 AM
This must be my week for return visits. I inspected a home in April. Seller is also a general contractor. Lots of modifications and unpermitted work. Seller disclosure was nearly blank. My clients were aghast that the seller had not been revealing of so many defects "and" a general contractor. They pulled out of the deal and called me twice to thank me.

Last week I got a call from a new buyer of that property I inspected last month. It was only when I pulled up to the property when I told him I had been there in April. I found some repairs were made, some repairs were pending, some repairs were unacceptable. Example: a rusted galvanized drain pipe was "corrected" by sending the seller's son under the house with a wire brush and a can of gray spray paint. Another inspector may have missed that because he would not have seen the previous condition.

During my verbal summary, Mrs. Seller objected to a few of my comments and was personally offended. I heard the same crap I listen to every week - "it's never been a problem for us" and "this work was performed by licensed contractors" and "this must be grandfathered." I apologized and explained to all that this is just business. What I really wanted to do was grab my phone like Captain Kirk and say "beam me up Scotty - this planet is extremely hostile."

Another day, another dollar.

Jerry McCarthy
05-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Joe, I gotta ask, why was the seller listening to your summary or anything you discussed with your client?

Joe Nernberg
05-20-2007, 07:53 PM
All parties elected to gather around the dining room table for a verbal summary. Mostly, I don't have a problem with that. It gives me a chance to elaborate and answer questions if I think the transaction will benefit from this type of participation. At the end, I asked my client to join me outside to point out a couple of things. We got outside and I told him I just needed an excuse to speak to him without interruption or intimidation. He appreciated that personal touch and said he would call me as soon as he digested the written report.

Jerry McCarthy
05-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Joe, first let me say we all make our own business decisions on how we conduct our inspections. I found what worked best for me was to hold my verbal summary off site usually adjacent to my truck parked across the street or next door. The sellers and/or there agents where not permitted to attend this private powwow. I found this system negated any arguments or defensive postures from the property sellers or their agents. Both my clients and their agents generally appreciated it as they felt free to ask pertinent questions that they may have felt intimidated to do so in front of the property sellers. I know there are others who feel different about this, but I think this subject may prove to be a valuable thread for those just starting out in this business?

Thom Walker
05-20-2007, 09:16 PM
It's not much of a secret that I think TREC has done a poor job of consumer protection and that I think they should be eliminated under Sunset. However, one thing that was done well is that we are not permitted to give the report or to discuss it with anyone but our Clients without permission. The exception is for immediate safety hazards to the current owner.

My Clients are welcomed to follow me around, except at the roof and attic and except while I'm at the service panel. No one else can tag along. So far. I've never had anyone request to follow me into a crawl.