PDA

View Full Version : Double at Main

Nick Ostrowski
05-17-2007, 03:21 AM
This is from a new construction house I looked at yesterday. The meter is going to go where the PVC section is but what is the reason spliting the water service entrance line at this point? Why not just one straight run?

wayne soper
05-17-2007, 05:38 AM
you sure that's not just a stabilizer?

Jim Robinson
05-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Do they commonly have meters inside the house? I never see that here. How does the meter guy read it, or is it electronic now?

Brian E Kelly
05-17-2007, 05:49 PM
That bottom pipe is a bypass. In my neck of the woods that is not legal or allowed in any way. The reason that the water dept doesn't allow this is the meter is bypassed and the homeowner is getting free water. That means no income for the water dept.

Brian E Kelly
05-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Also the water meters are all going to remote read devices where the meter reader does not even get out of his truck. Just a point and click and then down loaded for billing.

Bob Harper
05-17-2007, 07:11 PM
stub out for water filter?

Brian E Kelly
05-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Bob if that is indeed a stub out for a filter then the water will still be routed around the water meter and not thru the meter. But God only knows what some people do and for what reasons. I would call this out a improper.

Richard Moore
05-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I lightened and enlarged the photo. My guess is that water doesn't flow through that bottom pipe at all and that the whole thing is a meter "assembly", probably made up before hand in some plumber's shop to speed up on-site installation.

I think Wayne may have hit the nail on the head with "you sure that's not just a stabilizer?".

Charles Sessums
05-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I lightened and enlarged the photo. My guess is that water doesn't flow through that bottom pipe at all and that the whole thing is a meter "assembly", probably made up before hand in some plumber's shop to speed up on-site installation.

I think Wayne may have hit the nail on the head with "you sure that's not just a stabilizer?".

I agree with Richard. The section of pipe is used to keep the flanges properly spaced are the main is roughed in. Commonly see this set up in commercial applications here.