PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Zone

wayne soper
05-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I had the broker run this one for me. Good name Huh?

David Banks
05-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Nice name. Romex wire to garbage disposal should be secured and in conduit (FMC) for protection against physical damage.

Bob Stark
05-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Ahh, Mr. Banks.... always the inspector! Good call ! Great name, you're right.

Jerry McCarthy
05-17-2007, 05:17 PM
NM conductor (Romex) is non-code complying as an appliance connector.
I too like the name on that GD and think it would be excellent tool for disposing of really obnoxious agents?

Bob Mayer
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
What Jerry said. Putting Romex® in flexible conduit protects it from "physical damage" but not from motion/vibration. Code-required flexible cord has stranded conductors - that will not break after being bent back and forth multiple times.

- BOB

Jerry Peck
05-18-2007, 06:33 PM
What Jerry said. Putting Romex® in flexible conduit protects it from "physical damage" but not from motion/vibration. Code-required flexible cord ...

That's not what West Coast Jerry said, also, would you provide the code, I'm all for learning more.

Bob Mayer
05-18-2007, 07:22 PM
That's not what West Coast Jerry said, also, would you provide the code, I'm all for learning more.

I was agreeing with Jerry that Romex® is not approved. I did not mean to imply that Jerry said the rest of what I wrote.

The code does not explicitly require flexible cord. I should have said that the code effectively prohibits using NM cable by 314.15 (A) To Follow Surface. NM cable in flexible conduit would seem to be prohibited by 314.15 (B) Protection From Physical Damage. (Where only non-flexible conduit is allowed for protecting NM from physical damage.)

Flexible cord (with a plug connection) is allowed (but not required) by 422.16 (B) (1) Electrically Operated Kitchen Waste Disposers.

I should not have said "code-required". Flexible conduit with individual conductors can be used. The overwhelming majority of code-compliant installations I have seen use flexible cord and plug.

- BOB