PDA

View Full Version : How NACHI controls its critics

Rudolf Reusse
01-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Another example how NACHI controls its critics:

A few days ago I posted my view on the NACHI message board why the promoter from the US has become relatively successful in recruiting Canadians to become certified home inspectors of his private enterprise. Even though my objective conclusion actually favoured the founder of the "World biggest & best Inspection Association" - my privilege to post my opinions on his message board as "non-member" - was suspended within hours.

In response to my inquiry about the reason for the unexpected suspension - I received a personal e-mail from Mr. Gromicko, claiming that at least twenty-five (25) of his faithful and supportive followers had registered a complaint about my expressed view.

However - there is a slight discrepancy which proves that only Nick Gromicko - and not individual NACHI members control the content of message posted on his website.

At the time my privilege was cancelled - only ten (10) individuals had actually viewed or read my message.

RUDOLF REUSSE - Home Inspector since 1976 - TORONTO

A.D. Miller
01-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Another example how NACHI controls its critics:

A few days ago I posted my view on the NACHI message board why the promoter from the US has become relatively successful in recruiting Canadians to become certified home inspectors of his private enterprise. Even though my objective conclusion actually favoured the founder of the "World biggest & best Inspection Association" - my privilege to post my opinions on his message board as "non-member" - was suspended within hours.

In response to my inquiry about the reason for the unexpected suspension - I received a personal e-mail from Mr. Gromicko, claiming that at least twenty-five (25) of his faithful and supportive followers had registered a complaint about my expressed view.

However - there is a slight discrepancy which proves that only Nick Gromicko - and not individual NACHI members control the content of message posted on his website.

At the time my privilege was cancelled - only ten (10) individuals had actually viewed or read my message.

RUDOLF REUSSE - Home Inspector since 1976 - TORONTO

Rudolf: Why on earth would you be concerned that the Walmart-credential-piggies won't let you wallow in their pen? Find another outlet for your opinions. Any other venue would be preferable.

Of course, as much as I despise the group and its founder, you've got to admit that he makes a wide array of information and services available to his members.

Why is it that ASHI and NAHI cannot seem to learn a few things about marketing and membership benefits from this guy? It's the difficult and dastardly MFs that are ofter our best teachers.

Aaron:D

Ron Bibler
01-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Whannnn. http://images.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_TN/0184-0807-3114-2911_TN.jpg (http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_pages/0184-0807-3114-2911.html) L.O.L.:D

Best

Ron

Scott Patterson
01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Why is it that ASHI and NAHI cannot seem to learn a few things about marketing and membership benefits from this guy? It's the difficult and dastardly MFs that are ofter our best teachers.

Aaron:D

I can agree with that to a point. Nick is a great marketer, but once you get past the hyperbole you find little substance to many of the programs that he offers. Much of what is offered is geared toward the new inspector just entering the profession. ASHI is geared more toward the experienced inspector who has a couple of years under their belt. Many of Nick followers move up to ASHI after a year or two. Some of his most loyal and vocal supporters have joined ASHI over the past few years. It does not take long for a smart person to figure it out.

One of the main reasons I would say that ASHI and NAHI do not offer similar programs revolves around the cost. Another would be that ASHI and I guess NAHI could really care what Nick is doing. Nick has said that he is getting support (money) from Pro-Lab. He has made backroom deals with Pro-Lab and vice-versa. If you don't know about PL, just do a little research about them and their owner. I would akin this to selling your soul.

Many of Nicks online education programs are pretty good and I have no doubt that they have helped many folks to obtain needed CE education. For this I applaud those efforts.

I just don't understand why Nick and so many of his follower have such disdain for folks that belong to other organizations. I have never seen such vitriol spewed toward other membership organizations on a public discussion board. I must say with all honestly that this does not happen on any other public discussion board.

Yes, it use to be very common to see the bickering about the various organizations but it has just about stopped on all of the other boards. I think folks just want for everyone to get along and strive to improve the entire profession instead of comparing who is bigger and better. I would not be surprised to see a few of the older HI organizations merging into a united group over the next year or two. Combing their resources and talent to improve the profession would be the best thing to the home inspection profession.

A.D. Miller
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I can agree with that to a point. Nick is a great marketer, but once you get past the hyperbole you find little substance to many of the programs that he offers. Much of what is offered is geared toward the new inspector just entering the profession. ASHI is geared more toward the experienced inspector who has a couple of years under their belt. Many of Nick followers move up to ASHI after a year or two. Some of his most loyal and vocal supporters have joined ASHI over the past few years. It does not take long for a smart person to figure it out.

One of the main reasons I would say that ASHI and NAHI do not offer similar programs revolves around the cost. Nick has made backroom deals with Pro-Lab and vice-versa. If you don't know about PL, just do a little research about them and their owner.

Many of Nicks online education programs are pretty good and I have no doubt that they have helped many folks to obtain needed CE education. For this I applaud those efforts.

I just don't understand why Nick and so many of his follower has such disdain for folks that belong to other organizations. I have never seen so vitriol spewed toward other membership organizations on a public discussion board. I must say with all honestly that this does not happen on any other public discussion board.

Scott: The over-defensive stance brings to mind the Shakespearean quote: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks". When you're doing something questionably ethical you're bound to be a bit touchy about it.

ASHI and NAHI, fine organizations that they may be, in my opinion, spend too much money and effort on playing in the realm of Robert's Rules of Order (pomp and circumstance) and not enough on the necessities. And please don't represent to me for even one moment that there is not a lot of back room dealing going on there too.

I just don't see models for the type of caste system you are describing in the other professions. I'm not aware that there is a Junior Institute of Architects or a National Association of Plumbing Neophytes, the Temple of Electrical Tyros, Air Conditioning Abecedarians Anonymous, Fledgling Appraisers Council, et al.

Society of Home Inspection Tenderfoots (S.H.I.T.) = INACHI?:D

Raymond Wand
01-08-2009, 11:49 AM
But the best post of all thus far for 2009 by Nick Gromicko is:

Originally Posted by gromicko http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.nachi.org/forum/f48/international-association-certified-home-inspectors-has-some-lousy-inspectors-members-yes-said-36008/#post467215)
InterNACHI has some lousy inspectors as members. Yes I said it! Most of them dopes are in licensed states too (the license even fools them into believing they are competent).

That about sums up everything Nachi.

Jerry Peck
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I just don't see models for the type of caste system you are describing in the other professions. I'm not aware that there is a Junior Institute of Architects or a National Association of Plumbing Neophytes, the Temple of Electrical Tyros, Air Conditioning Abecedarians Anonymous, Fledgling Appraisers Council, et al.

Society of Home Inspection Tenderfoots (S.H.I.T.) = INACHI?:D

That's because those other professions are, well ... recognized professions ... with virtually all being required to be licensed in some form or another, and all of which operate under a recognized "code", i.e., building code, plumbing code, electrical code, engineering principles, and then there are the appraisers ... but they are (I believe) licensed (locally or state) and regulated to some degree nationally.

Home inspectors, on the other hand, have no recognized "governing body" and only require licensing in some states, and (with one or two exceptions) they have no "code", only an SoP adopted from one of the national associations, and a very weak SoP at that - and it is not a "consensus document" as the codes are.

In essence, then, HIs and their associations are (in the aspects given above) their own worst enemy regarding advancing as a recognized profession.

ASHI had the best shot originally, NACHI (as it was then known) had the best shot when ASHI shot itself in the feet with Branding, but Nick just would not allow me to open that window for him, he felt (I guess) he would be exposed by the sunlight that window would allow in, then ... where were we ... oh, yeah, NAHI ... as I said, ... where were we ... :)

A.D. Miller
01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
In essence, then, HIs and their associations are (in the aspects given above) their own worst enemy regarding advancing as a recognized profession.

JP: Yessir.

Jerry McCarthy
01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
GOEBBELS' PRINCIPLES OF PROPAGANDA
2. Propaganda must be planned and executed by only one authority.
a. It must issue all the propaganda directives.
b. It must explain propaganda directives to important officials and maintain their morale.
c. It must oversee other agencies' activities which have propaganda consequences
3. The propaganda consequences of an action must be considered in planning that action.
4. Propaganda must affect the enemy's policy and action.
a. By suppressing propagandistically desirable material which can provide the enemy with useful intelligence
b. By openly disseminating propaganda whose content or tone causes the enemy to draw the desired conclusions
c. By goading the enemy into revealing vital information about himself
d. By making no reference to a desired enemy activity when any reference would discredit that activity
5. Declassified, operational information must be available to implement a propaganda campaign
6. To be perceived, propaganda must evoke the interest of an audience and must be transmitted through an attention-getting communications medium.
7. Credibility alone must determine whether propaganda output should be true or false.
8. The purpose, content and effectiveness of enemy propaganda; the strength and effects of an expose; and the nature of current propaganda campaigns determine whether enemy propaganda should be ignored or refuted.
9. Credibility, intelligence, and the possible effects of communicating determine whether propaganda materials should be censored.
10. Material from enemy propaganda may be utilized in operations when it helps diminish that enemy's prestige or lends support to the propagandist's own objective.
11. Black rather than white propaganda may be employed when the latter is less credible or produces undesirable effects.
12. Propaganda may be facilitated by leaders with prestige.
13. Propaganda must be carefully timed.
a. The communication must reach the audience ahead of competing propaganda.
b. A propaganda campaign must begin at the optimum moment
c. A propaganda theme must be repeated, but not beyond some point of diminishing effectiveness
14. Propaganda must label events and people with distinctive phrases or slogans.
a. They must evoke desired responses which the audience previously possesses
b. They must be capable of being easily learned
c. They must be utilized again and again, but only in appropriate situations
d. They must be boomerang-proof
15. Propaganda to the home front must prevent the raising of false hopes which can be blasted by future events.
16. Propaganda to the home front must create an optimum anxiety level.
a. Propaganda must reinforce anxiety concerning the consequences of defeat
b. Propaganda must diminish anxiety (other than concerning the consequences of defeat) which is too high and which cannot be reduced by people themselves
17. Propaganda to the home front must diminish the impact of frustration.
a. Inevitable frustrations must be anticipated
b. Inevitable frustrations must be placed in perspective
18. Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by specifying the targets for hatred.
19. Propaganda cannot immediately affect strong counter-tendencies; instead it must offer some form of action or diversion, or both.
20. If the lie is big enough, and told often enough, it we be believed by most people.

Raymond Wand
01-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Jerry quipped: .. he felt (I guess) he would be exposed by the sunlight that window would allow in, ..

Jerry you are not suggesting that NG is a vampire, are you? :D

Raymond Wand
01-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Jerry M.

That about sums it up in a nut-shell! Good one!

A.D. Miller
01-08-2009, 12:55 PM
GOEBBELS' PRINCIPLES OF PROPAGANDA
If the lie is big enough, and told often enough, it we be believed by most people.

JM: Sieg Heil!:eek:

CaoimhĂ­n P. Connell
01-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Good morning, Gents!

I think Jerry McCarthy just described the rationale behind Global Warming.

Cheers!
CaoimhĂ*n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
Forensic Industrial Hygiene (http://www.forensic-applications.com)

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG