PDA

View Full Version : Tramex Moisture Encounter Plus

David Banks
05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Just purchased Moisture Encounter Plus. Manual is pretty basic. E-mailed the company they say manual is all they offer. Any tips for use of this moisture meter. How to avoid false readings Etc.
Thanks

Michael Thomas
05-17-2007, 02:59 PM
1) Metal (for example corner bead) causes inaccurate (elevated) readings.
2) Surface moisture causes inaccurate readings.

That said, still my meter of choice for subsurface readings on dry gypsum board and ceramic tile.

Richard Rushing
05-17-2007, 04:23 PM
You'll get alot of false readings on the inside with stucco...

RR

Scott Patterson
05-17-2007, 05:40 PM
You need to practice on your own home. It is a great moisture meter, but it does have a learning curve. As with any tool you have to learn it's limitations and attributes.

Rick Hurst
07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
What moisture meter type do you use?

Which is best for stucco and EIFS use?

Nick Ostrowski
07-18-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm due for an upgrade and have been looing at the Protimeter Surveymaster. Anybody use one of these?

Scott Patterson
07-18-2007, 06:13 AM
What moisture meter type do you use?

Which is best for stucco and EIFS use?

For EIFS, you really have one meter that works well enough and that would be the Tramex Wet Wall Detector. If used properly it will help you to zero in on the problem areas. Yes the WWD is expensive, but with a good EIFS inspection it can be paid for in only one job.

For Stucco, not much will work from the exterior because of the wire or metal lath in the wall. I try to tackle stucco from the interior of the home. I use a combination of meters on the interior with the Tramex Moister Encounter being used the most. You really should not probe stucco walls as the probing can cause more damage. When you probe a stucco wall you are putting a hole into the moisture barrier and you do not want to do this!

For probing I use the Delmhorst meters digital and analog. I also use the Protimeter SM with the long probe attachment