PDA

View Full Version : Reft or Light???

Vern Heiler
01-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Is there a correct side for the Hot and Cold, on a garden tub with faucet controls on the entry side of the tub? I see them both ways.

Bruce King
01-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Unless the original home buyer specified something different, the hot should be on your left when you are in the tub.

So it would be on the right as pictured.

Or better yet, anyway you want it as long as a color stripe or indication is present.

Vern Heiler
01-14-2009, 02:38 PM
No stripe. Just turn one and see what happens!

A.D. Miller
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Is there a correct side for the Hot and Cold, on a garden tub with faucet controls on the entry side of the tub? I see them both ways.

Vern:

P2722.2 Hot water. Fixture fittings and faucets that are supplied
with both hot and cold water shall be installed and
adjusted so that the left-hand side of the water temperature control
represents the flow of hot water when facing the outlet.

Exception: Shower and tub/shower mixing valves conforming
to ASSE 1016 or CSA B125, where the water temperature
control corresponds to the markings on the device.

Hot is always on the left as your face the fixture.

Gunnar Alquist
01-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Vern,

In cases like the one pictured, I specifically note that I am referring to hot on left when in the tub. I have gotten arguments and have offered this as a clarification.

Vern Heiler
01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks all, I am going down the middle with this as the outlet can be faced from either side. Just going to make a note of which way in the report.

Jerry McCarthy
01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Hot or cold..... guess?

John Arnold
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

Jerry Peck
01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks all, I am going down the middle with this as the outlet can be faced from either side.

Regardless whether or not the fixture "can be faced from either side", the side you use it from (from within the tub) is the side you look at it from, then the hot should be on the left.

There is no "middle" to go down.

Vern Heiler
01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Regardless whether or not the fixture "can be faced from either side", the side you use it from (from within the tub) is the side you look at it from, then the hot should be on the left.

There is no "middle" to go down.

Most people run the bath before they get into the tub! And some heat-up the water while they soak! Both sides of the faucet....kinda down the middle:) .

Jerry Peck
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Most people run the bath before they get into the tub! And some heat-up the water while they soak! Both sides of the faucet....kinda down the middle:) .

However ...

The only time you are at risk of burning yourself with hot water is ... when you are *IN* the tub ... thus that is the only time it matters. :D

Jim Luttrall
01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
the left-hand side of the water temperature control
represents the flow of hot water when facing the outlet.

Like Aaron posted left when facing the OUTLET.

Vern Heiler
01-14-2009, 05:34 PM
However ...

The only time you are at risk of burning yourself with hot water is ... when you are *IN* the tub ... thus that is the only time it matters. :D

When your in the tub you only want "HOT" water.:D

Jerry Peck
01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
However ...

When your in the tub you only want "HOT" water.:D

No. When you are in the tub and want "COLD" water ... and you turn on the "HOT" water! :eek:

Matt Fellman
01-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Here's a sink faucet I encountered a couple weeks ago that was reversed. It looked like the faucet was installed backwards due to a lack space between it and the back splash.

The red/blue indicator was set in line with what was coming out of the faucet but the hot was coming from the right side. Actually, the red/blue tab couldn't be reversed so I assumed the plumber/installer just followed that.

In any case, looked up the same codes that A.D. Miller posted and determined the install was incorrect since it's not a tub/shower.

btw.... West Coast Jerry... what kind of gas station rest rooms are you hanging out in? That place looks pretty bad :)

Rick Maday
01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
FWIW,

Providing a uniform configration (hot on left) goes a long way to helping the blind.

On a side note, notice the salt next time you go to a restaurant - it should be on the right. :D

Jerry McCarthy
01-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Cold water on wight, hot on reft.

Steve Lowery
01-18-2009, 10:55 AM
That just looks so wrong. Slipping while climbing in and out could result in unintended encounters w/ the hard sufaces of the fixtures or even more scary snagging scenarios(sp?).