PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass insulation in the fireplace

MaMa Mount
01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Can someone please tell me if the yellowish colored fiberglass should be exposed in a metal firebox where the firebox is connected to the flue. There was this insulation that visibly had smoke or soot on it. I couldn't take a picture of it at the time. Anyone have a clue of what I'm trying to explain. Sorry if I sound confusing.

Jim Luttrall
01-14-2009, 09:59 PM
If you can see it from inside the firebox looking up the flue, then something is wrong. If you are seeing it from the outside (before the drywall goes on) then maybe OK. I would recommend checking out the installation manual. If you have the brand, do a google search, lots of info out there on-line.

MaMa Mount
01-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Thank you so much Mr. Luttrell for taking the time to answer my question. Your help is much appreciated. I feel many on this board are ignoring my questions but i'm only trying to learn.

Ron Bibler
01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Thank you so much Mr. Luttrell for taking the time to answer my question. Your help is much appreciated. I feel many on this board are ignoring my questions but i'm only trying to learn.

I think its the blue hair:eek:

I had one of them hot boxes today. don't like them... Every one i have ever inspected had something wrong with it.
Make your notes and defurrrrr it off...

Best

Ron

brian schmitt
01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
was this a woodstove,insert,or fireplace? some woodstoves have a fiberglass type blanket above a heat exchanger inside the stove? it is white to yellow and about 2" thick. when i clean my stove i remove the heat exchanger and the blanket in order to remove the debris from the cleaning of the flue system.

Raymond Wand
01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey MaMa Mount.

No offense but seeing as you raised the issue about people ignoring you, maybe you should use a real name, and fill out the profile, so people know who they are dealing with. It may very well assist with getting more answers fwiw.

MaMa Mount
01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Just for you Raymond.

Maureen Mount

Jerry Peck
01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Just for you Raymond.

Maureen Mount

Click on the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page and ask Brian to change your username. Brian will be glad to do it as we use real names here (have you've been told above).

Rick Hurst
01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
We all owe you a Big Thank You, Raymond.:D

rick

Bart Ogden
01-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Can someone please tell me if the yellowish colored fiberglass should be exposed in a metal firebox where the firebox is connected to the flue. There was this insulation that visibly had smoke or soot on it. I couldn't take a picture of it at the time. Anyone have a clue of what I'm trying to explain. Sorry if I sound confusing.

Some metal fireboxes with a metal smoke chamber require insulation in this area to allow for expansion and sealing of the transition between the vitreous clay flue tiles and the metal smoke chamber flue tile receiver.

If the insulation is intact and is a gasket, as I expect it is, it shouldn't be an issue.

As with nearly all chimney issues, particularly with real estate transactions, recommend a Level 2 inspection by a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep or a FIRE Certified Inspector.

With masonry fireplaces, a video camera should be used to thoroughly inspect each flue tile joint for integrity.

Bart Ogden
Wichita, KS