PDA

View Full Version : Tech Shield Inspection For Water Intrusion

imported_John Smith
01-15-2009, 05:44 PM
With standard plywood or OSB roof decking, its usually fairly easy to tell if it has gotten wet when looking at the side facing the attic space. When I look at Tech Shield decking and similar products, I always wonder how I would really be able to tell if it the roof had been leaking. I obviously look at the rafters and all other accessible components, but am curious if there are any tip offs that the Tech Shield has been saturated. I assume the foil will stay bonded even if the OSB gets wet.

Any suggestions?

Ted Menelly
01-15-2009, 05:48 PM
With standard plywood or OSB roof decking, its usually fairly easy to tell if it has gotten wet when looking at the side facing the attic space. When I look at Tech Shield decking and similar products, I always wonder how I would really be able to tell if it the roof had been leaking. I obviously look at the rafters and all other accessible components, but am curious if there are any tip offs that the Tech Shield has been saturated. I assume the foil will stay bonded even if the OSB gets wet.

Any suggestions?

The OSB will still swell and I have also seen the foil lift off the OSB after getting wet repeatedly. If it just started getting slightly moist it is a lot harder to see the swelled area. I still think it is a great product. I appreciate it in attic I inspect in the summer. It is always far cooler. Anywhere between 15 and twenty degrees depending on proper ventilation but still cooler.