PDA

View Full Version : Siding stains

David Banks
05-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Anyone familiar with these siding stains? Cause? Cedar siding.

Bob Stark
05-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Dave,
Are those stains something that the homeowner can take care of with pressure washing? Any way to tell if the siding is actually impregnated with the stain?
What sort of camera are you using? :)

David Banks
05-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi Bob, They did come off just by rubbing on them with my hand but father in law thought there was huge moisture issue behind siding.
Camera is Canon Power Shot SD600.(Elph)

Bob Stark
05-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey Dave !

Upon closer look, I do notice that, moving upward from the "ground", the staining terminates rather go all the way up the wall. Moisture behind the siding, I would think, is a possible concern. Seems like a good call.
I am using the Nikon L11. I suppose all the small digitals work pretty similarly depending on features. I was just curious. Is there anything you DON'T like about the camera? I am still in the camera 'experimental' stage ! May switch to Canon..... ??

Bob

David Banks
05-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Bob. Actually can not think of anything I do not like about the camera. Maybe a bit small for my clumsy ex concrete hands. But fits nicely in pocket.
I like the eye viewer for direct sunlight. Most cameras just have LCD screen and hard to see what your looking at in Bright light.
I bought a bigger memory card and extra battery. Good to go. Did almost 300 pics with one card and same battery.

Bob Stark
05-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Dave, that's great! I bought the 512meg card... I can take up to about 190 hi-res pics with it. Did you buy a 1 gig card ?

Bob

David Banks
05-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Bob. 512.

Eric Shuman
05-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi Dave

Without more photos it would be hard to tell but one possibility is that this staining is the result of air pollution films on the siding that are running down with increased moisture in the air or from rain. The fact that it terminates partially up the wall could be due to the overhang of the eave that prevents moisture from settling on the wall above a certain point.

Just an idea but I have seen this type of pollution staining many times before. Of course it is possible that there is moisture in the wall but I would look for other evidence to suppot that.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Scott Patterson
05-20-2007, 09:36 AM
With it being ceder, it could be the resin from the wood interacting with the moisture barrier. I have seen this on homes that have felt paper as the moisture barrier. But, it does not brush off like you said you were able to do with it.

Randy Aldering
08-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Mildew stains from moisture behind the siding? What is on the other side of the wall? Is this in a cold climate?