PDA

View Full Version : Pilot light in gas fireplace

Vinnie Kuss
01-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Ron Bibler
01-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I you don't understand this system please call you Gas company they will come out and inspect the system for you and light it for you.

Thats the safe way.:)

Best

Ron

Rick Hurst
01-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Vinnie,

Simply turn of the gas valve at the fireplace controls if you have no intentions of using the fireplace. Save the costs of the pilot burning. Those are easy money for the gas provider.

rick

Jerry Peck
01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
You said you "never use" it, so I second Rick's advice - turn the gas valve off.

It is "supposed to" have safety interlocks which will prevent the gas from flowing with the pilot 'off', but, if you "never use" the gas fireplace, why not just turn it off? No need to take chances, those are "safety devices" and are not intended to be used as 'the' gas shut off control.

jackie peeks
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
As a fireplace installer and service tech for 13 years now i can say depending on the age of the fireplace it should a 15 second drop out or/and other safety features such as a thermocouple which senses heat and shuts gas off when tempature drops.Instructions to relighting the fireplace should be in owners manual or on a tag under fireplace,hope i helped, thank you