PDA

View Full Version : electric - panel connection

Ken Amelin
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
This panel is fed from adjacent main service equipment off a 50 A breaker.

As shown in the picture the feed wire (off the 50A breaker in the main service panel) connects to a 100A breaker in this panel.

Is this a problem? and why.

Thanks!

(other problems in the panel also as you can see)

Ken Amelin
01-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Forgot picture

Fred Warner
01-23-2009, 11:08 AM
This panel is fed from adjacent main service equipment off a 50 A breaker.

As shown in the picture the feed wire (off the 50A breaker in the main service panel) connects to a 100A breaker in this panel.

Is this a problem? and why.

Thanks!

(other problems in the panel also as you can see)

Does the feeder circuit from the main service panel contain 3 or 4 conductors? From what I am able to see from the photo provided, the remote panelboard has the neutral and equipment grounding conductors joined together (electrically connected) by virtue of a metal strap running behind the bus bars. This is a serious violation of the NEC, if so. See the mechanical post on this site for better clarity.

Vern Heiler
01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Top left breaker looks double tapped? The 50 amp breaker protects the wire to the remote panel, I don't see a problem with that.

Ken Amelin
01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Fred,

Good catch! I didn't see the strap connecting the ground and neutrals.
It is a 4 wire cable. The ground wire is connected to (faux) ground bar.

Some other things that I saw that are wrong - double taped breaker, 14 ga wire on 20A breakers, 3 ground wires under terminal screw, 14 ga wire to bathroom and kitchen, loose mounted panel. Just lots of stuff.

I'm going to write it up as Handyman wiring and safety issue, to be reviewed and repaired by a licensed electrician, now.

Thanks!

Fred Warner
01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Fred,

Good catch! I didn't see the strap connecting the ground and neutrals.
It is a 4 wire cable. The ground wire is connected to (faux) ground bar.

Some other things that I saw that are wrong - double taped breaker, 14 ga wire on 20A breakers, 3 ground wires under terminal screw, 14 ga wire to bathroom and kitchen, loose mounted panel. Just lots of stuff.

I'm going to write it up as Handyman wiring and safety issue, to be reviewed and repaired by a licensed electrician, now.

Thanks!

You're welcome. Way to go!

Jerry Peck
01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
That's an example of a panel rated "Suitable for use as service equipment ONLY."

Most are rated "Suitable for use as service equipment."

Your photo is an excellent example of the difference between the two.

Also looks like that back-fed main (the upper right breaker) is not installed and mounted correctly. Looks like it is going to fall out.

Fred Warner
01-23-2009, 08:02 PM
That's an example of a panel rated "Suitable for use as service equipment ONLY."

Most are rated "Suitable for use as service equipment."

Your photo is an excellent example of the difference between the two.

Also looks like that back-fed main (the upper right breaker) is not installed and mounted correctly. Looks like it is going to fall out.

Isn't that white plastic strip on the upper left side across from the back-fed breaker the hold-down kit? Looks like it to me. :)

Jerry Peck
01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Isn't that white plastic strip on the upper left side across from the back-fed breaker the hold-down kit? Looks like it to me. :)

Could be, but that does not affect the fact that it "looks like" it is getting ready to fall out and is not in properly on the retaining clip rail side (the right side). See what I am referring to? It looks half off, or maybe even more off than that.