PDA

View Full Version : Sappy Attic?

Don Jackson
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Took this image in the attic of a 2001 home and not sure what to make of it. Does this dripping "sap" deteriorate the integrity of the beam?

Don

Ron Bibler
01-24-2009, 03:23 PM
No its fine. If any thing that sap will stop any fungus infection or termites from doing any damage. Now if the board had any splits or checks in it then you may want to look at it but look fine from what i can see.

Best

Ron

Don Jackson
01-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks Ron!

Any reason for the development of the sap?

Kevin Barre
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
The heat in the attic!

Technically, the sap was there all along. The heat causes it to liquefy and ooze out.

A.D. Miller
01-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Took this image in the attic of a 2001 home and not sure what to make of it. Does this dripping "sap" deteriorate the integrity of the beam?

Don

Don: Much of the wood produced for framing lumber has pitch pockets or areas of crystalized resin. Like Kevin said, the attic heat restores this to a liquid form and it flows out. Hopefully not on your hands as you steady your walk through the attic.

Aaron

Don Jackson
01-24-2009, 04:31 PM
As to my first question, does this deteriorate the integrity of the beam? Should I suggest to "monitor" or just say "watch where you put your hands"?

A.D. Miller
01-24-2009, 04:40 PM
As to my first question, does this deteriorate the integrity of the beam? Should I suggest to "monitor" or just say "watch where you put your hands"?

Don: Under almost all circumstances the member remains structurally sound, though I have seen isolated extreme cases where replacement was needed.

Kevin Barre
01-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Don--
The wood strength is fine; the sap leaking out doesn't hurt anything. It does make one incredibly sticky mess on your hand--or clothes--if you accidentally contact it.

Billy Stephens
01-24-2009, 04:41 PM
No

No ( nothing to write about with this in The Home Inspection Report.) ;)