PDA

View Full Version : Condensate drain filter

Ken Amelin
01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I saw this on a condensing type furnace.
Does anyone know what this filter may be for?

CaoimhĂ­n P. Connell
01-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Homeowner experimentation?

CaoimhĂ*n

John Arnold
01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Treatment ("sweetening") of furnace condensate?

Jerry Peck
01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
What makes you think it is a filter?

I see a larger piece of PVC with two end caps on it with drilled holes and smaller PVC in the holes.

Did it say it was a filter on it?

Do condensate lines from those condensing furnaces need to be trapped?

John Arnold
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Homeowner experimentation?

CaoimhĂ*n

Not sure, but could be CaoimhĂ*n's shortest post.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

John Arnold
01-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Plumbing Engineer June 2007 Newsletter (http://www.plumbingengineer.com/newsletters/web_version/June07_PE_Newsletter.html)

scroll down

or

JJM Boiler Works :: Condensate Neutralizer - Acidic Neutralizng Tubes :: For Engineering, Contractor, Wholesaler, Representative,OEM (http://www.jjmboilerworks.com/)

Ken Amelin
01-27-2009, 08:21 AM
What makes you think it is a filter? (good quesiton - now I'm not sure)

I see a larger piece of PVC with two end caps on it with drilled holes and smaller PVC in the holes. (so do I - Now that you mention it)

Did it say it was a filter on it? (no it didn't - just assumed - Uh oh!)

Do condensate lines from those condensing furnaces need to be trapped? They have a built in trap

I should have given it a closer look and not assumed. - (hit my head)
Any thoughts on what it might be??

Ken Amelin
01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
John,

Thanks!

That nuetralizing tube looks pretty close to what I have in the picture.
I'm going with that explaination.

Jerry Peck
01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
John,

Kinda, sorta, looks like that.

Maybe that was the HVAC tech's personal version of it?

John Arnold
01-27-2009, 08:28 AM
John,

Thanks!

That nuetralizing tube looks pretty close to what I have in the picture.
I'm going with that explaination.

Ken I recently attended a seminar here in Philadelphia given by a Rheem guy from Rhode Island. He mentioned the added expense of treating condensate, and all of the home inspectors present looked at each other in confusion, because we'd never heard of this. Anyway, it stuck in my brain. I've never seen one.

John Arnold
01-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Here's another.

Jerry Peck
01-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Ken I recently attended a seminar here in Philadelphia given by a Rheem guy from Rhode Island. He mentioned the added expense of treating condensate, and all of the home inspectors present looked at each other in confusion, because we'd never heard of this. Anyway, it stuck in my brain. I've never seen one.

John,

What is in those things, does it need to be maintained, does it need to be replaced, etc.?

The ones in your links appear to have one end removable, the one in Ken's photos looks to be glued on at both ends.

John Arnold
01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
John,

What is in those things, does it need to be maintained, does it need to be replaced, etc.?

The ones in your links appear to have one end removable, the one in Ken's photos looks to be glued on at both ends.

Baking soda? I really don't know what's in them, but the Rheem guy used the term "sweetening" so I assume it's a base of some kind to raise pH.