PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Ideas!

Bob Spermo
01-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Four times a year I teach 2 courses (How to Build/Contract Your Own Custom Home and Green Building with an emphasis on the energy aspects) for the San Antonio Continuing Ed program. Since I always get a pretty good turn out (i.e. make some money for the school district) the people that run it will let me pretty much teach any course I come up with. I have never attempted to sell my "skills" to the class. However, I would like to come up with a course that would benefit the people that take it and open up new business opportunities for me. There should be some way I can use this teaching position as a marketing tool. I have turned down the opportunity to build a home for people that have taken my course (no more building in my future!). I am licensed real estate inspector and a RESNET Certified Energy Rater. Anyone got any ideas for a course for me to teach?

Rick Hurst
01-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Checkbook 101 would be a great course. I'm amazed at the number of people who give me checks will also tell you they have never balanced a checkbook. They rely strictly on what the banks web site states they have at that day or the moment. No wonder our economy is in such a mess when people can manage their own finances. Sad.

Off the soapbox,
Rick

Steve Reilly
01-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Home owner boot camp.

Cover the basics of a house maintance from top to bottom. Explain where all utilitie shut offs are. I bet you will fill a class.

Steve Reilly
Owl Inspection Services

Bob Spermo
01-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Rick,

Why isn't a course on financial management taught in middle school? When I was a commander with 1100 personnel I used to give commander's call about retirement and the concept of investments and compound interest. About 10 people would get it!

I'm getting some ideas. Now I just have to figure out to make it look like a good course in the cintinuing ed booklet.

Rick Hurst
01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Bob,

What Steve said.

A home maintenance type program would probably go over really well.

Many people don't really understand that properly maintaining a home helps maintain a greater value of the home. (usually)

rick

Nolan Kienitz
01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Bob,

Add a chapter or section on Water Heater 101: Homeowner's annual maintenance/test of T&P Valves and suggested visit by a Qualified, Licensed, Plumbing Professional every three years to check out T&Ps.

I hold a quick class with all my clients about this special little valve.

Richard Stanley
01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
"Where is my hvac filter and how/when do I change it?"
It would save lots of money for many people. ie; equipment repair and energy $$$.