PDA

View Full Version : Petty issues

James Bohac
02-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Just got off the phone with an upset seller.
I politely listened as he ranted on how my poor inspection killed his deal and he cannot believe the petty issues that I reported on. The home is only 10 years old and why should he have to caulk around the exterior doors and windows if he has not had any leaks before? He stated that the buyer knew that the sale was " as is " and should not be let out of the sale.
I again politely replied that I seriously doubted that the buyer backed out of the sale over caulking issues and that the inspection and written report are performed and prepared for the sole, confidential and exclusive use and possession of the CLIENT, and without my clients permission, I would not discuss the issues of the report.
Well that did it!! after several F#%&/ comments, he asked what it would take for me to come back to the home and go over the whole inspection?
When I informed him that it would be the price of a full inspection he hung up.
I have included a few petty photo's

Kevin Barre
02-03-2009, 04:58 PM
It hasn't happened to me, at least not recently, but I suspect that in today's market we will come to see more of this sort of thing. Many sellers really NEED to sell and are on the verge of desperation. They will lash out at any available target if the deal goes south.

I must admit, however, that the photos don't look like truly "deal killing" issues under normal conditions. I suspect the buyer got cold feet or there was some other dynamic at work...like a listing they saw that just hit the market after they placed an offer!

MaMa Mount
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Dont' understand why you fellers let the sellers go on and on about your inspection? Cut them off as soon as they tell you they are the seller. Why sat and listen to all their crap and feel the need to justify your report?
Tell them even though it is as is that your client did not like it as it is.

TNSFNoOne

Ted Menelly
02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
The rust holds the wires into the connectors. What's the problem?

The rust around the evaporator coil just helps the unit funtion better. What's the problem?

The missing shingles tabs were the bad tabs and the wind just help get rid of them.

Why put a stupid cover around and over the wire to the water heater. That crap just gets in the way.

Ron Bibler
02-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Odd as it is most buyer that back out are looking for the first thing to do so. its not the inspection unless the home is just trashed and you like $ 30k worth of damage.

Best

Ron

Nick Ostrowski
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
It may be the cumulative build-up of multiple noted defects that soured James' client on the house. It doesn't just take one big ticket item to turn a buyer off, especially if they are buying the house as-is and will need to absorb the cost of every repair item.

Ted Menelly
02-03-2009, 06:27 PM
It may be the cumulative build-up of multiple noted defects that soured James' client on the house. It doesn't just take one big ticket item to turn a buyer off, especially if they are buying the house as-is and will need to absorb the cost of every repair item.

The ass seller did say it was as is. He was one of those folks that tell me crap all the time. "I just went over the entire home with a fine tooth comb. If someone want to buy it I am not fixing anything. Nothing needs fixing. They are getting a great deal"

I would say the seller blew the deal. Not the buyer or the inspection. He will get over his little self and realize his little Gem needs some work.

Richard Moore
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I've had something similar from a couple of listing agents, but I've only had a seller "bitch" directly at me once. It was while he was hiring me on the phone to do the home we was subsequently buying. It went something like..."Your inspection trashed my house and cost me a good chunk of money. I want you to do the same for me."

I think it was a bit tongue-in-cheek as he was quite pleasant during the second inspection.

Chris Stichter
02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
How do you guys fare selling pre-listing inspections? They are a hard sell here (or maybe I am not marketing them right:confused: ), but it just seems logical that the seller could come to terms with the condition of thier home and make repairs or adjust the price accordingly.

Ted Menelly
02-03-2009, 10:24 PM
How do you guys fare selling pre-listing inspections? They are a hard sell here (or maybe I am not marketing them right:confused: ), but it just seems logical that the seller could come to terms with the condition of their home and make repairs or adjust the price accordingly.

Actually I just got finished sending out material for pre listing inspections today. I actually had an owner broker of a pretty decent office touch base with me today. I noticed she sent cc to her merry band of close top Realtors in her office with all the correspondence. I don't know if any hing will come of it but you never know. This broker has showed interest in the past from things I throw by her but nothing usually pans out. This one feels like it may have some teeth.

Great upscale office. Wish me luck. Something has to break here or I'll break soon.

Ted Menelly
02-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Adding to that

The realtors are the only ones that can sell them. You have to (have really not had much luck in the past) sell the realtors because you getting in front of the sellers without cold hard cold calling from an MLS list is next to impossible.

Chris Stichter
02-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Good luck Ted...I've never had an inspection not pay for itself...I wish folks would understand that.

James Bohac
02-04-2009, 05:15 AM
My buyer was a young, first time home buyer with little money for repairs. I do not try to scare my clients because most problems can be repaired. Clients do have to realize there are no perfect homes and if you want to do no maintenance you should rent!!!