PDA

View Full Version : Seen this switch before?

Jim Robinson
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
This was replacing a light switch, but it didn't work at all. Any idea what it is supposed to do? I couldn't get it to open, nor could I get the cover off of the thing.

Ted Menelly
02-03-2009, 05:04 PM
No hammer Jim????

Vern Heiler
02-03-2009, 05:46 PM
This was replacing a light switch, but it didn't work at all. Any idea what it is supposed to do? I couldn't get it to open, nor could I get the cover off of the thing.

Get a kid to show you how to open it! It's "child proof":D

Jerry Peck
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
My guess is it is one of two things.

- A cover to keep the switch from being switched and the cover opens via that tab on the left.

- That is one of those tap-on, tap-off, tap-and-hold dimmers which, when you hold a finger on them, cycles up and down brighter to dimmer and back to brighter.

Jerry Peck
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Looks like a central vac outlet to me.

Could be, but then it would not (at least not likely) be mounted up high like a switch is.

Jim Robinson
02-03-2009, 08:56 PM
The switch on the left pushed straight across to the right. It was labeled "on" and "off". I figured some type of touch dimmer also. The light bulb could have been burnt out in the fixture. I thought maybe someone had seen one like it during one of their inspections. It sure seemed like the middle panel was supposed to open, but it wouldn't for me.