PDA

View Full Version : Krawlgear

Jack Feldmann
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I have seen these things at Inspection World for the last few years and always felt they were a little over priced, and not something I would really need or use. I even played with one on the floor of the convention center. But, no sale.

About 16 or 17 years ago I felt the same way about the Little Giant ladder. Too much money, and really, how good could it really be? I was doing a ride along with an inspector in North Carolina and he had one. I ordered one from my hotel room when he dropped me off.

So this year at inspection World I decided I would buy one. Discount, free shipping and a free pair of gloves. Too much temptation for me to pass up. Really didn't have the money to spend on a new tool either.

I got it the other day, and played around with it in the house. Did I make a mistake? Was it really going to be any good?

Today I was able to use it in a real crawlspace. Almost from the first moment I started crawling I knew I had made a good decision. Right from the start I had to go over some large roots on the ground. Way too easy.
Then I got to where I needed to get under a duct. I knew the technique for moving your body around to get under stuff. I didn't need to shift, and went under without a hitch.
Making tight turns in my living room seemed cumbersome. Under the house they were effortless.

I can highly recommend this tool to everyone. I just haven't figured out where in my truck I'm going to store it.

Scott Patterson
02-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Jack, a person your size could also strap a few Hot Wheels onto your knee pads and get around. My girth is a little forbidding and acts like a skip anchor on the Krawlgear!

I wish they would come out with an expandable version! :D

Jack Feldmann
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
You need a hip master

Gunnar Alquist
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
A local pest guy has one and he really likes it. I tried it and I thought it was pretty good, but you're right, it is pricey. Maybe I should just bite the bullet. But, crawling is what allows me to keep my girlish figure. :rolleyes:

Rick Hurst
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
A local pest guy has one and he really likes it. I tried it and I thought it was pretty good, but you're right, it is pricey. Maybe I should just bite the bullet. But, crawling is what allows me to keep my girlish figure. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. We have to take care of ourselves.

Jack Feldmann
02-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Used it yesterday on a really bad crawlspace. It was 1. muddy. 2. very low in places, 3. very uneven surface such as big dips etc.

Going thru a really tight side to side place, the wheels hit on a pier, so I have to shift a little. Same as when crawling.
Got snagged up a bit going where a bunch of cables were all over the ground. But then, I have caught cable with my knee pads before.

Where this thing really shines is the low low spaces. You just scoot along.

However, you do use different muscles. I notice my arms were used a lot more than my knees. Even with knee pads, my knees would take a beating sometimes (when I used to just crawl).

They do have a try it offer, if you don't like it send it back.
While it is a pricey tool, it is top of the line and very well made. I'm sure someone could cobble a copy and save money, but this is clearly a professional looking tool.

When I got suited up for the crawlspace and was heading for the access, the Realtor and my clients came outside to see what I had. After I came out, we spent several minutes looking at it and talking about it. It was an attention getter. That in itself can't be a bad thing.

I just have to figure out how I am going to store it in my truck. Looks like a weekend project re-configuring the back of my truck.

My advice is to find someone that has one, and try it out. Buy it and if you find you don't like it send it back. Or you can come to Knoxville and try mine (it will cost you a beer though, maybe more than just one).

Clint White
02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
What the heck is Krawlgear???

Pictures I need pictures, action shots are preferred...

Rick Vernon
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
KrawlGear - HOME (http://www.krawlgear.com/index.php?osCsid=cb65aa1e8f2da1ffaa2bd3cef13f3491)

todd anderson
02-20-2009, 02:04 PM
seems very high price, could you just not make one ?

Scott Patterson
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
seems very high price, could you just not make one ?

That is what the guy that invented it did. He built a better mouse trap, so to speak. I saw the first prototype several years back.

Yes, you could build one if you have the talent and time. I would guess that you could build something similar for about $75 to $100 in parts.