PDA

View Full Version : Tub faucet

Kevin Teitel
05-22-2007, 06:19 AM
How can Kohler sell faucets with the handle that has the cold on the bottom left and turns clockwise with the hot above on the left? I thought the code requires hot on the left and cold on the right.

Kevin Teitel
House-Pro Inspections

Phillip Stojanik
05-22-2007, 06:57 AM
I am not sure I have seen the valve configuration you have described but if you are talking about tub or shower valves then perhaps the "exception" below applies?

From the 2006 IRC...

"P2722.2 Hot water. Fixture fittings and faucets that are supplied with both hot and cold water shall be installed and adjusted so that the left-hand side of the water temperature control represents the flow of hot water when facing the outlet.

Exception:

Shower and tub/shower mixing valves conforming to ASSE 1016 or CSA B125, where the water temperature control corresponds to the markings on the device."

Kevin Teitel
05-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks, I just saw the exception. Almost called it out during my last inspection.

Kevin Teitel
House-Pro Inspections

Rick Hurst
05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Phillip or others,

Does anyone have an answer as why the Kohler single lever type faucets have a problem as to when the handle is flipped to the hot side, the water completely shuts down or there is not water pressure.

I've been told it is a defective "plate" within the faucet to its a anti-scalding feature.

We seen many of these with defects in many vacant homes where the water hasn't been on in a while.