PDA

View Full Version : AFCI in conversion to condo

Mike Huppi
05-22-2007, 07:50 AM
If a apartment is converted to a 1960 condo and remodeled then are the outlets and lights in the bedroom to be AFCI protected, or is there a list of items that have to be met.

Mike

Jerry McCarthy
05-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Depends on interpretation of your state's adopted building code? Generally speaking when you change occupancy use it's required to bring systems up to current adopted code.

Mike Huppi
05-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Thats what I thought. I have a call into the local county permits division and ask them. We have a lot of different interpretations depending on who you talk to out here for some reason. I try to avoid using the code word so it can get interesting.

Thanks I will post what the county says later.

Scott Patterson
05-22-2007, 09:04 AM
If a apartment is converted to a 1960 condo and remodeled then are the outlets and lights in the bedroom to be AFCI protected, or is there a list of items that have to be met.

Mike

As Jerry said, it depends. A large factor is if a permit was needed or taken out on the remodel.

One way to address this is to say something along the lines; "For increased safety AFCI breakers should be installed to protect all bedroom outlets". I would then leave it at that.

Jerry Peck
05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Not only that, but you would want to check the spacing of the receptacle outelts - to make sure they are as required now.

Usually (or as West Coast Jerry said - 'it depends') the answer would be 'Yes.'

In my opinion (which counts little outside where I reside - in my own little world :) ) the answer should 'always' be 'Yes.'.

brian schmitt
05-23-2007, 01:34 PM
is it a change in occupancy from an r to an r?