PDA

View Full Version : ceiling fan on porch

Roland Miller
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I am inspecting a house with a ceiling paddle fan on a porch. Are there any restrictions on the installation? The porch has a roof but is open on the sides.

Richard Thacker
02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
It at least should rated for damp locations.

Home Rite Home Inspector, York, Pa - Real Estate Inspection in PA and Maryland (http://needahomeinspector.com)

Roland Miller
02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree with that one. My problem is how would you tell by looking at it? Or should I just write it up for an electrical contractor to verify??

Jim Port
02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
I think the major differences are plastic blades and the top of the motor is not open in case of a leak.

Roland Miller
02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
OK--good that is what I will look for.. thanks

Dennis Webber
02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I am inspecting a house with a ceiling paddle fan on a porch. Are there any restrictions on the installation? The porch has a roof but is open on the sides.
Just seen this post and thought I'd look it up as the question and answers intrigued me.

In checking the UL White Book, under category GPRT, UL states that the ceiling fans designed for mounting under a porch roof have been tested with a water spray test will are marked as such. (It almost seems as if they are listing for wet location, although I have seen damp loc. fans. Now I wonder if they (damp loc.) were NOT to be used in an exterior environment - different requirements that a light would be?) Anyway, UL states the label will indicate that the fan is suitable for mounting on a patio or porch ceiling.

If this is an existing home, I would also be suspicious of the mounting means (outlet box) for the fan and any exterior light switch (would need to be wet loc.)

Ron Bibler
02-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I see a lot of ceiling fan installed with a standard fixture box that are not rated for ceiling fans. this can be a big problem if the fan comes off the ceiling and then you known what hits the fan.

I alway make at statement in my report to this fact to have an electrical contractor check the out let box.

Best

Ron

Jim Port
02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
If the fan is supported independantly of the box it does not need to be fan rated.

However, using the standard box and screws to support the fan would be an issue.

Mike Truss Guy
02-17-2009, 12:30 AM
It at least should rated for damp locations.

Home Rite Home Inspector, York, Pa - Real Estate Inspection in PA and Maryland (http://needahomeinspector.com)

I agree with that one. My problem is how would you tell by looking at it? Or should I just write it up for an electrical contractor to verify??

I think the major differences are plastic blades and the top of the motor is not open in case of a leak.

Even in usually dry Las Vegas, I see sagging fan blades on patio covers. I wouldn't put any fan outside anywhere that has Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) blades.