PDA

View Full Version : Toxic drywall from China!

Scott Patterson
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Over the past few months, owners of newer homes nationwide have been complaining of drywall that smells like rotten eggs. In several cases, they have had to leave their home because the smell was so bad. In addition to the putrid smell, many homeowners have reported problems with air conditioning and other systems that are likely related to the defective Chinese drywall. This is being called the next EIFS like disaster in the real estate market!

Many have spent hundreds and even thousands of dollars - to have air conditioning, pipes and wiring repaired. Usually, drywall is manufactured in the United States, but a shortage between 2004 and 2006 prompted many builders to buy drywall from China.

Most of the reported problems stem from drywall imported from China during the construction boom years of 2004-2005. Florida and the Gulf Coast states have been the first to report and have issue with this drywall showing up but it also showing up in non-coastal areas.

Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin Co. Ltd. of China, a subsidiary of German-based manufacturer Knauf, is the company at the focus of these drywall problems. If your newer home smells like sulfur or rotten eggs, you may have defective Chinese drywall. The problem is coming from coal ash that was mixed into the gypsum drywall compound. It appears that China was attempting to get rid of their coal ash problems by mixing it with the drywall compound. When the drywall is exposed to moisture, such as high humidity a chemical reaction starts. The result of this reaction is the production of Hydrogen Sulfide and Sulfuric acid gas. This is the rotten egg smell that is present with the drywall.

This drywall is responsible for the destruction of the copper coils in HVAC units in the homes that it has been installed in. The corrosive off gassing is also responsible for damaging many other components in the homes from the copper electrical to the nails and screws that are holding everything together in the home.

As this is just starting to rear its ugly head, many are not aware of this problem. If you want to learn more, just do a Google search on Chinese Drywall and you will find pages of information on it.
This is from my blog Real Estate Blog - Is Toxic Chinese Drywall in your home? (http://activerain.com/blogsview/924108/Is-Toxic-Chinese-Drywall-in-your-home)

Also, if you have any first hand knowledge please let us know.. Pictures of it would be great.

Dom D'Agostino
02-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Kind of old news here in Florida, and I believe the exact same "word for word" text/copy you posted appears in many previously published sources.

If I run across any interesting photos, I'll be sure to post them.

Dom.

Scott Patterson
02-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Kind of old news here in Florida, and I believe the exact same "word for word" text/copy you posted appears in many previously published sources.

If I run across any interesting photos, I'll be sure to post them.

Dom.

Most of the information is about the same. This is a combination of several articles and some of my own research for a case that I have been hired to help with.

We have found some in Central and Southern Mississippi and along the Alabama coast. Most seems to be from Post Katrina repairs and rebuilds.

Dom D'Agostino
02-10-2009, 03:15 PM
This is a combination of several articles and some of my own research for a case that I have been hired to help with.

Oh, I see... you're trolling for evidence...:)

Since this now involves lawyers and courts, I rescind my offer to supply any photos. ;)

Good luck with that....

Dom.

Scott Patterson
02-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh, I see... you're trolling for evidence...:)

Since this now involves lawyers and courts, I rescind my offer to supply any photos. ;)

Good luck with that....

Dom.

Nah, it could not be used anyway.

I have some, I just can publish them due to a confidentiality agreement with the client.

Dan Harris
02-20-2009, 04:10 PM
This board is great.
I just got a call from a concerned new home customer about this topic.
Searched "Chinese drywall" and got this info to pass on to the customer.

Jerry Peck
05-02-2009, 06:15 PM
If you think you may have chinese drywall in your home, or just aren't sure and would like to find out, there is a cheap and easy to use test kit at www.chinesedrywalltesterkit.com (http://www.chinesedrywalltesterkit.com)

It's pretty simple, and can be reused to test all over the house. Also, it doesn't require cutting holes in your drywall, which is a plus.

www.chinesedrywalltesterkit.com (http://www.chinesedrywalltesterkit.com)

A charlatan multiple posting the same crap on each thread - DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY of this crap.

Scott Patterson
05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
A charlatan multiple posting the same crap on each thread - DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY of this crap.

This is who owns the domain name:
CHINESEDRYWALLTESTERKIT.COM WHOIS domain registration information from Network Solutions (http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/CHINESEDRYWALLTESTERKIT.COM)

The domain name owners public information was removed at his request. The above link can be used to find that information.

John Lugger
05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Anybody have any samples - I want to get this stuff tested by a real laboratory?

Let me know.

Micah Toll
07-28-2009, 02:29 PM
This is who owns the domain name:
CHINESEDRYWALLTESTERKIT.COM WHOIS domain registration information from Network Solutions (http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/CHINESEDRYWALLTESTERKIT.COM)

The domain name owners public information was removed at his request. The above link can be used to find that information.

Mr. Patterson, I'd like to thank you for your concern about a Chinese Drywall Testing Kit, and direct you to my website, Chinese Drywall Tester Kit (http://www.ChineseDrywallTesterKit.com). I sent a kit to the Florida Attorney General's office, and have received their endorsement. Thank you once again for your concern!

Jerry Peck
07-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Mr. Patterson, I'd like to thank you for your concern about a Chinese Drywall Testing Kit, and direct you to my website, Chinese Drywall Tester Kit (http://www.ChineseDrywallTesterKit.com). I sent a kit to the Florida Attorney General's office, and have received their endorsement. Thank you once again for your concern!

Another rip off test kit which is not needed.

First steps to do if you are a home owner and wondering about Chinese drywall:

Check all copper piping, plumbing, a/c as the air handler unit, ground wires at receptacles and switches. If turning dark and being coated with a substance which rubs off on your fingers ... MAYBE. If turning dark and it does not rub off on your fingers, probably normal tarnishing.

Go by the Big Box stores or your local hardware store and buy some copper plumbing fittings, lay them around the house. If they turn dark and the substance rubs off ... MAYBE.

If you have a medicine cabinet which is recessed into a bathroom wall, remove it (usually 2 to 4 screws is all) and look inside that wall - easy to do and you can see if there is anything that says China or Knauf in there, or Made in China on the paper strip along the joint.

Do you have silver jewelry which is tarnishing, you polish it and it tarnishes again in a few weeks? Are the backs of your mirrors turning around the edges (most mirrors are coated with silver on the back - that is what makes it reflective). Then MAYBE.

Do you smell sulfur or a sulfur like smell ... MAYBE.

IF the above is there, especially more than one of the above ... MAYBE.

Then a sample would need to be taken and tested at a real laboratory for the elements it contains - only that way will you know what the drywall contains.

Scott Patterson
07-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Dude, after your phone call I was nice and took your personal information off the post. Actually it is public information that can be found by doing a Whois search.

Please stop promoting your snake oil test kit for free. If you want to sell it why don't you contact the owner of this site, Brian Hannigan. I'm sure he would be glad to sell you some ad space.

Looks like I might need to post that information once again!! :D

John Carroll
07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Just a simple question, Scott.
How is selling "snake oil" for free on this website different from "trolling for evidence". Or should we call it like it is, "Advertising my inspection service."
Just curious...:cool:

Scott Patterson
07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Just a simple question, Scott.
How is selling "snake oil" for free on this website different from "trolling for evidence". Or should we call it like it is, "Advertising my inspection service."
Just curious...:cool:

Who is advertising their inspection business? I don't call posting on IN advertising, unless you are selling a product like a drywall test kit..

Who is "trolling" for evidence? Evidence of what and for what use?

Micah Toll
07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Dude, after your phone call I was nice and took your personal information off the post. Actually it is public information that can be found by doing a Whois search.

Please stop promoting your snake oil test kit for free. If you want to sell it why don't you contact the owner of this site, Brian Hannigan. I'm sure he would be glad to sell you some ad space.

Mr. Patterson, there is no need to get testy. I merely appreciate your concern. There are a lot of people out there selling snake oil to make a buck, as you say. That is why I took the necessary steps to get my kits approved by a government body, the Attorney General's Office of the State of Florida, the state that has had the largest impact from Chinese Drywall. I'm glad that you are out there trying to protect people, just as I am. I appreciate your hard work and diligence!

I wish you luck with your home inspection business!

Scott Patterson
07-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Mr. Patterson, there is no need to get testy. I merely appreciate your concern. There are a lot of people out there selling snake oil to make a buck, as you say. That is why I took the necessary steps to get my kits approved by a government body, the Attorney General's Office of the State of Florida, the state that has had the largest impact from Chinese Drywall. I'm glad that you are out there trying to protect people, just as I am. I appreciate your hard work and diligence!

I wish you luck with your home inspection business!

Just curious, does the Florida AG allow you to use them in the advertising of your product?

Can you post the approval for the AG's office. I'm sure many would like to know that it is backed by the State of FL.

Micah Toll
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM

Just curious, does the Florida AG allow you to use them in the advertising of your product?

Can you post the approval for the AG's office. I'm sure many would like to know that it is backed by the State of FL.

Exactly! I'm glad we are in agreement, Mr. Patterson. Having a governing body's approval of my testing methods is what separates my kit from the imitators out there.

And the Attorney General's office, specifically the task force on Chinese drywall, informed me when they decided to review my testing kit that they were actively looking for a solution to low cost testing, as they had yet to find an alternative to expensive lab tests that miss whole parts of a house. The lawyer I worked with was excited about my Chinese drywall test kit and had no problem backing the product, as it represented a solution they were actively looking for.

I'm sure you have no reason to doubt, but just in case you do, feel free to contact the Attorney General's Office yourself, as they have their review of my kit on file. I hope you have a lovely day, Mr. Patterson.

Jerry Peck
08-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Exactly! I'm glad we are in agreement, Mr. Patterson. Having a governing body's approval of my testing methods is what separates my kit from the imitators out there.

And the Attorney General's office, specifically the task force on Chinese drywall, informed me when they decided to review my testing kit that they were actively looking for a solution to low cost testing, as they had yet to find an alternative to expensive lab tests that miss whole parts of a house. The lawyer I worked with was excited about my Chinese drywall test kit and had no problem backing the product, as it represented a solution they were actively looking for.

I'm sure you have no reason to doubt, but just in case you do, feel free to contact the Attorney General's Office yourself, as they have their review of my kit on file.

I hated to be the one to burst your bubble, but ... this is the e-mail I received back from the Florida Attorneys General office when I inquired about your test kits.

Mr Peck,

Thank you for notifying us that the Chinesedrywalltesterkit.com site was saying the AG's office had endorsed there product. We have not endorsed any products and they have removed that statement from their website.

Sincerely,

Daniel Halpern
Economic Crimes Investigator
Office of the Attorney General
107 W Gaines St
Tallahassee, Fl 32399
(850) 414-3894 (Voice)
(850) 448-4483 (Fax)

Scott Patterson
08-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I hated to be the one to burst your bubble, but ... this is the e-mail I received back from the Florida Attorneys General office when I inquired about your test kits.

Mr Peck,

Thank you for notifying us that the Chinesedrywalltesterkit.com site was saying the AG's office had endorsed there product. We have not endorsed any products and they have removed that statement from their website.

Sincerely,

Daniel Halpern
Economic Crimes Investigator
Office of the Attorney General
107 W Gaines St
Tallahassee, Fl 32399
(850) 414-3894 (Voice)
(850) 448-4483 (Fax)

Well, that took care of that!!

As Barney Fife said: "Ya got to nip it in the bud" I think that has just been done! :D

Jim Luttrall
09-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Inspection steps for homeowners (http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Environment/community/indoor-air/inspections.html)
This may be of interest. I have not read enough to comment, but please tk a look.

Michael Thomas
09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
In today's e-mail:

As plaintiff's attorneys begin to salivate over the defective Chinese Drywall issues, FREA is urging all its Members to include the following in their pre-inspection agreements:

This inspector is not qualified to detect the presence of Chinese Drywall. Accordingly the issue of Chinese Drywall (and its potential problems) is beyond the scope of the inspection report.

Best regards,
The FREA Support Team