PDA

View Full Version : Report amendments

Scott C. Minunni
02-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Hey All,

was wondering what your thoughts were for amending reports, here is the scenario...

During the inspection I came across one rotted window sill, significant rot, several windows could not be opened, stuck, all windows were accessible.
I was asked if I would be willing to return to inspect the windows I was unable to open if the seller could get them opened. I said yes and I have no problem with that. (I did not want a situation were I broke a crank or was unable to get the window closed again, my outside access was limited due to snow cover).
My question is really how do you handle the amendment? My thought was to use an interior page from a dismantled spare report, any better suggestions? And how about sign off’s? It will only be the realtor and I at the return inspection.

thanks,

Scott:cool:

Scott Patterson
02-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey All,

was wondering what your thoughts were for amending reports, here is the scenario...

During the inspection I came across one rotted window sill, significant rot, several windows could not be opened, stuck, all windows were accessible.
I was asked if I would be willing to return to inspect the windows I was unable to open if the seller could get them opened. I said yes and I have no problem with that. (I did not want a situation were I broke a crank or was unable to get the window closed again, my outside access was limited due to snow cover).
My question is really how do you handle the amendment? My thought was to use an interior page from a dismantled spare report, any better suggestions? And how about sign off’s? It will only be the realtor and I at the return inspection.

thanks,

That is a simple one! Do not change the original report. Type a letter on your letterhead of exactly what you did and what you found. That is it.

Example; I returned to ---address--- on ---date--- at the request of --name of your client--- to look at the windows that were listed in the original report dated ---date of report---.

This is what I found: Just say what you found. Good bad or whatever...

Then you can add what other types of disclaimers you want. Like; I did not inspect or look at anything else other than what is listed above. Also I would add that the original inspection agreement covers this re-inspection and letter.

Just keep it simple and to the point. Do not expand on anything or go into extreme detail.

Bob Elliott
02-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey All,

thanks,

I often do a revision and mark it as such.(right on the cover)

Introduction letter also helps in documenting what in the report is changed and why.

One free go back is offered ,and I just make sure to notate that it is a revision.

Scott's way would work also, how ever I prefer to be consistant in my report and use of software ,as my reports are automaticly uploaded and saved that way onto a server.

Scott C. Minunni
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys, this helped alot.

Scott Patterson
02-13-2009, 08:22 AM
I often do a revision and mark it as such.(right on the cover)

Introduction letter also helps in documenting what in the report is changed and why.

One free go back is offered ,and I just make sure to notate that it is a revision.

Scott's way would work also, how ever I prefer to be consistant in my report and use of software ,as my reports are automaticly uploaded and saved that way onto a server.

Hi Bob,

Can you not upload a PDF outside of your report and save it to your server also? This should be a simple process and then you could add a Word doc or whatever.

The main reason, I say not to change the original report is that this will help you down the road if any question every come up about the items in question. I had an EW case a few years back that the inspector got beat up in court because he changed the report to reflect the repairs that were made to the home. The changed report did not ever mention that the items were deficient in the original report.

Jerry Peck
02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree with Scott P.,

NEVER change the original report.

First, how do you reconcile the fact that the report is dated one date (the date of the inspection) and the changed information is from another date (the date of the re-inspection)?

Second, as Scott P. just pointed out, altering a report makes the report suspect, in the case Scott P. mentioned, not only was the report "changed", but information was "deleted" from the report.

Most programs *SHOULD* allow you to insert files (graphics or otherwise) into the report, so, simply create a document on your letterhead which given the true date, the inspection and client information, the specifically state what you did ... and specifically state that you did not do anything else - and do not do anything else which is not listed under what you did.

Make that document into a pdf and insert it into your report, the back of your report, after the last past, and in big bold text on the document make sure it says "ADDENDUM" then "RE-INSPECTION", and give the date right under it.

Once you "alter" your report, you are opening that proverbial can of worms. You are asked "Did you alter your report?", you reply "Yes.", you've just then dug a big hole for you to get out of. The opposing attorney could just leave it at that and you are left with the last thing the judge hearing you state is "I ALTERED MY REPORT" ... that is not a good thing.

Linda Swearingen
02-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I agree with the comment about not changing the original report. What I do is give them a letter on letterhead stating that I returned to the property on whatever date, what specific items I was rechecking, and what I found. My report software does have the capability of inserting an additional comment section, which I occasionally use for this if I am dealing via email, but I still word it in the same way as above.

Ted Menelly
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Most everyone say they go back one time for free. I have on a rare occasion but never much at all.

I would love to be working right now so I could say I'd go back once for free :)

To go back and check windows that you could not get to ? I might suggest because an appointment has to be made anyway why not go back with the Realtor and see if they open or if there is rot around them. Same thng is going to happen if his realtor brings up the concerns with the return visit as if you went there.

Not being an idiot here but I have been asked to go back for *FREE* for some prettty lame stuff. Can you go back and see if they fixed that dead bolt????????????????? Ah, no.

Speeking of working. Is anyone doing any of that right now???????

Rick Hurst
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Most everyone say they go back one time for free. I have on a rare occasion but never much at all.

I would love to be working right now so I could say I'd go back once for free :)

To go back and check windows that you could not get to ? I might suggest because an appointment has to be made anyway why not go back with the Realtor and see if they open or if there is rot around them. Same thng is going to happen if his realtor brings up the concerns with the return visit as if you went there.

Not being an idiot here but I have been asked to go back for *FREE* for some prettty lame stuff. Can you go back and see if they fixed that dead bolt????????????????? Ah, no.

Speeking of working. Is anyone doing any of that right now???????

Ted,

It must be a local thing. Things over here on this side of Dallas seems to be moving right now. No, I am not just swamped and knocking out 2 everyday but I've had 1 everyday for the last few weeks. I had to work last Sat. and Sunday cause I didn't want to lose those clients.

Typically, Feb. is one of the slowest months. Usually when March and April comes around its 7 days a week workload.

I think personally we'll have a good spring run.

rick

Ted Menelly
02-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Ted,

It must be a local thing. Things over here on this side of Dallas seems to be moving right now. No, I am not just swamped and knocking out 2 everyday but I've had 1 everyday for the last few weeks. I had to work last Sat. and Sunday cause I didn't want to lose those clients.

Typically, Feb. is one of the slowest months. Usually when March and April comes around its 7 days a week workload.

I think personally we'll have a good spring run.

rick

rick

I have called all the Realtors that have referred me in the past over here. My website still has the same standings as always. I have even called past client and said "Hey, whats up"

I have know idea what is going on. My phone has just about stopped. No exaggeration. I did a Realtor office visit the other day. All of them (a normally extremely busy office, one of the busiest if not the busiest) has very little going on. No INTERNET referrals from different sites Nata.

I guess I will have to make a 40 mile move and start marketing elsewhere.

I do not usually market Realtors and probably should have been so that end would be dising something out. I just did not have the need for it. I always got my work elsewhere.

I am marketing them now, hard, but politely. They have all heard of me of course after being here for over 4 years but again I never really pushed that end. I received some pretty good interest and replies and landed one for tomorrow and maybe a few others but nothing solid.

Getting just a wee bit nervous.

My phone never in my life has ever just stopped ringing. Not even price shoppers from on line. I would be happy to hear "OK I'll get back to you"

Ron Bibler
02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Ted... Dude no one likes you any more:eek: ... Just messing with ya.

I have been doing some checking around and you are not the only one with a dead phone... as of late.

Its an odd time for all... My area is doing OK. Last week was a bit slow but its back up... I think we should all go to work for Rick...:D

I have the new guy pounding nails for a few weeks. just don't have as many inspection as i would like to have... I did see something kind of odd. Doing inspection on the R.E.O. The buyers will have me inspect them and when they get the reports they back out of the deal... then they call me in on the next house. so I'm doing like 2 insp. for about 4 out of 10 buyers. I don't think that I have ever done that before...

Best

Ron

Kevin Luce
02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey All,

thanks,

I agree with not altering the original report.

If you are going to use the original report, only add to it and make it clear what has changed (different colored font, different font, date and reason for new information). As long as you make it clear what you're doing, you might get questioned about it from a lawyer (if it goes in that direction) but it wont help their case.

For me, I just give them another report (normally one or two pages) showing date, reason I was there, findings and limitations. No confusion this way.:D

Rick Hurst
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
What I do is I add any follow-up inspections to the end of the original inspection on a "addendum page". I note the date of the reinspect and the purpose for the re-inspect. For example, the attic was not inspected due to a car being in the garage the date of the original inspection and was blocking access.....

Rick

Rick Hurst
02-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Ted... Dude no one likes you any more:eek: ... Just messing with ya.

I have been doing some checking around and you are not the only one with a dead phone... as of late.

Its an odd time for all... My area is doing OK. Last week was a bit slow but its back up... I think we should all go to work for Rick...:D

I have the new guy pounding nails for a few weeks. just don't have as many inspection as i would like to have... I did see something kind of odd. Doing inspection on the R.E.O. The buyers will have me inspect them and when they get the reports they back out of the deal... then they call me in on the next house. so I'm doing like 2 insp. for about 4 out of 10 buyers. I don't think that I have ever done that before...

Best

Ron

Ron,

Odd time for sure. Just had someone call and book an inspection at 11 pm. at night for a much needed inspection for tomm. morning as their option period is over tomm. at midnight. You just never know when those calls will come in. I carry my phone with me at all times like it was a pacemaker. :D

rick

Matt Fellman
02-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Phones are slow, for sure.... I had a great week last week.... had two booked for Monday this week and haven't had a call since. I've talked to a couple agents in larger offices and everything has stalled for now. I think the interest rate uptick at the end of last week and everyone waiting for the Grande Stimulus to pass (as if anything was really going to change instantly once it's signed/passed).

As for the OP.... Document what you do. I usually do up a separate report but make sure and reference the terms/conditions of the first applies (in bold).

I have, on rare occasion, ammended an original to reflect water being turned on. I'll say something like "The water to the property was turned on and the plumbing system was re-evaluated on xxx with no problems being noted"

Last week I had a job a few blocks from my house and there was snow in the forecast so I ran by and did the outside the day before (foreclosure, of couse, so nobody home). I made note of it on the report.

I think the bottom line on all of this stuff that gets you out from under 99% of problems is to document what you do and write what you see.

The chaos seems to ensue when you don't properly communicate.

Matt Fellman
02-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Ron,

Odd time for sure. Just had someone call and book an inspection at 11 pm. at night for a much needed inspection for tomm. morning as their option period is over tomm. at midnight. You just never know when those calls will come in. I carry my phone with me at all times like it was a pacemaker. :D

rick

I often struggle weather or not to answer when the phone rings late at night..... Do I seem desparate? Can they smell the beer on my breath?

I usually do pick up and the sound in people's voices is priceless..... uh, uh, umm.... I was just going to leave a message.

It's funny, though, I have scheduled many jobs this way. And, it's a good thing I did pick up.... because if not, they'd call you next and I'd lose the job :)