PDA

View Full Version : Is this correct????

JIM MURPHY
02-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Inspected a brick ranch this morning and in the attic on the gable end the brick was exposed as you can see in the pictures. Roofing paper was bundled up indicating it might have been on that section at one time. It seems that something is missing. The house was built in 1980.

Jim Murphy

Jerry Peck
02-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Sheathing is missing, to which the paper 'would have been' attached, in which case it 'would likely' still be attached to where it was.

Ron Bibler
02-17-2009, 09:03 AM
The construction and all load supports of the Birds nest is correct in every way:D

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller
02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Inspected a brick ranch this morning and in the attic on the gable end the brick was exposed as you can see in the pictures. Roofing paper was bundled up indicating it might have been on that section at one time. It seems that something is missing. The house was built in 1980.

Jim Murphy

Gable framing would be a nice addition . . .

JIM MURPHY
02-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks Jerry, that was my first thought. Correct it or leave it. A HUD inspector will be inspecting the property when the final contract is signed.

Jim

Jerry Peck
02-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Jim,

Another thing which is missing, which I did not think of at first (but should have thought of it with the sheathing), are the brick ties.

There are apparently no brick ties anchoring the brick veneer to the gable wall. If there were, the felt would not have fallen like that, regardless, though, with no sheathing, the brick ties could not be located as required.

Without brick ties ... there is the real potential for that gable end to come tumbling down on whatever ... or whoever ... is below it.

If the gable end does not have brick ties ... oh-oh ... does the rest of the brick veneer have brick ties (or even sheathing)?

The more I look at those two photos, the scarier it gets (with the exception of - the brick mason sure did a really nice job of cutting the mortar off the back side of the brick, excellent work there) ... for example, the gable end studs are flat-wise with the wall instead of perpendicular to the wall, much less strength (not that it matters much with nothing attached to them) ...

A.D. Miller
02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Jim,

Another thing which is missing, which I did not think of at first (but should have thought of it with the sheathing), are the brick ties.

There are apparently no brick ties anchoring the brick veneer to the gable wall. If there were, the felt would not have fallen like that, regardless, though, with no sheathing, the brick ties could not be located as required.

Without brick ties ... there is the real potential for that gable end to come tumbling down on whatever ... or whoever ... is below it.

If the gable end does not have brick ties ... oh-oh ... does the rest of the brick veneer have brick ties (or even sheathing)?

The more I look at those two photos, the scarier it gets (with the exception of - the brick mason sure did a really nice job of cutting the mortar off the back side of the brick, excellent work there) ... for example, the gable end studs are flat-wise with the wall instead of perpendicular to the wall, much less strength (not that it matters much with nothing attached to them) ...

JP: Without framing they would need to be floating ties, or equipotentially levitating ties.

Ron Bibler
02-17-2009, 09:45 AM
So we are going to make a repair of the brick veneer from the inside?

But this time we are going to do all this work from inside the limited access of an attic area. :eek: That should be fun :D

Should not the brick veneer be removed from the exterior and start the repair from the exterior?

Best

Ron

Jerry Peck
02-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Should not the brick veneer be removed from the exterior and start the repair from the exterior?

You betcha, and likely all the way to the brick ledge as there may not be any ties anywhere. :eek:

Of course, though, that would make it easy access to install proper sheathing all the way down and up on that wall, and then a proper WRB, so, maybe it's not such a bad thing after all ... :)

(Why did the part of repairing the brick veneer from the inside come from? I must have missed it, or are you referring to that other thread?)

Ron Bibler
02-17-2009, 10:05 AM
You betcha, and likely all the way to the brick ledge as there may not be any ties anywhere. :eek:

Of course, though, that would make it easy access to install proper sheathing all the way down and up on that wall, and then a proper WRB, so, maybe it's not such a bad thing after all ... :)

(Why did the part of repairing the brick veneer from the inside come from? I must have missed it, or are you referring to that other thread?)

Replace damaged sheating from inside? That JOE. POSTED.

Best

Ron

JIM MURPHY
02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Jerry,

Here is a picture on the other side of the house. This window is in the FROG and the FROG has been finished off. Actually they put galvanized roof panels in the ceiling therefore there is no access here. But, as you can see, the lindal is bowing. Looks like the same problem as the other side

Jim

Ron Bibler
02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
You have a lot of mortar cracks and mortar popping going on with that brick work. the lintel has rust condition and is now providing an opening for moisture/rain to enter the wall voids/interior of the home.

Did you use a moisture meter on the interior walls?

This could be a mess in the works.

Best

Ron

Jerry Peck
02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
This window is in the FROG and the FROG has been finished off.

Jim,

I'm drawing a mental blank here ... I may know it, but ... ??? ... what is a FROG ... ??? ...

Ron Bibler
02-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Jim,

I'm drawing a mental blank here ... I may know it, but ... ??? ... what is a FROG ... ??? ...

http://www.frogsonice.com/froggy/icons/tback.gif

A.D. Miller
02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Jim,

JP: Finished Room Over Garage, but I had to look it up

Jerry Peck
02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
JP: Finished Room Over Garage, but I had to look it up

Aaron,

Thank you.

I think I now remember someone else using that term here many moons ago and I think I may have asked the same question then too??? So much for my memory on those things.

Ron,

No, no, that's a "froggy". :D

Jerry Peck
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Here is a picture on the other side of the house. This window is in the FROG and the FROG has been finished off. Actually they put galvanized roof panels in the ceiling therefore there is no access here. But, as you can see, the lindal is bowing. Looks like the same problem as the other side

Now that I know what a FROG is (thank you, Aaron ... and Ron ;) ), I think you probably do have the same problem there.

In addition to the main problem, the lintel is rusting excessively, causing it to bow (that it the typical cause, that along with the lintel being undersized).

Regardless, if that is constructed like the other end, it all needs to come down anyway.

Ouch! (For the seller.)

JIM MURPHY
02-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks to all.

My buyer has been alerted but wanted to know why the house is still standing after 29 years.

Answer????

Jim

A.D. Miller
02-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks to all.

My buyer has been alerted but wanted to know why the house is still standing after 29 years.

Answer????

Jim

Jim: It was waiting all this time for someone like him to come along?

Jerry Peck
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks to all.

Answer????

Jim

The answer to that is another question:

Why, when winds blow through a forest, do all of the dead trees not fall and why do some of the healthy trees fall instead?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.
YouTube - Bob Dylan Blowin' In the Wind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ced8o50G9kg)
YouTube - BOB DYLAN - Blowing in the wind (Madison Square Garden NY 1971) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4nPJ-YYHBc)

Ron Bibler
02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
The answer to that is another question:

Why, when winds blow through a forest, do all of the dead trees not fall and why do some of the healthy trees fall instead?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.
YouTube - Bob Dylan Blowin' In the Wind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ced8o50G9kg)
YouTube - BOB DYLAN - Blowing in the wind (Madison Square Garden NY 1971) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4nPJ-YYHBc)

Jerry thats Great:D

Jim that house may stand that way for another 50 years of come down? next week

We have homes and Building like that in the San Francisco area with brick veneer problems. and we have companies that Retro-fit brick faces of building with a fiberglass and strong backing all Engineered to fix these kind of problems.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM
After they fall . . .

YouTube - Can you place so many bricks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBlLvDkKM7s)

A.D. Miller
02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
After they fall . . .

YouTube - Can you place so many bricks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBlLvDkKM7s)

Ted Menelly
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
After they fall . . .

That is insane. I am not sure why anyone would want to even try that or put that much way on their head.