PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Home odd wall system

Ron Bibler
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Look at the photos of these exterior walls. 2x6 T&G on the inside Over plywood over a foam with an exterior plywood siding. This is the way all the walls were constructed. Ever see this before? No visible paper.
They cut open a section of the wall to install a door and use the cut out for the door.

Any ideas. Thanks...

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly
02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Look at the photos of these exterior walls. 2x6 T&G on the inside Over plywood over a foam with an exterior plywood siding. This is the way all the walls were constructed. Ever see this before? No visible paper.
They cut open a section of the wall to install a door and use the cut out for the door.

Any ideas. Thanks...

Best

Ron

Post and beam tyope home with the partial logs secured to the posts and then the rest of the system. Gives it that log cabin effect. actuall, all the would and the foam in the middle was fairly efficient. Those home make a nice camp fire once the get ripping on fire. I acually like them.

Jeff Remas
02-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Very common for post and beam cabins. Nice to see a cut away view once in awhile.

Raymond Wand
02-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Pre fab, faux post and beam.

Ron Bibler
02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Do you think they have damage the wall system by cutting the wall like this?

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly
02-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Best

Ron

As long as the opening is finished off inside and out or if a door is going in that opeing. Other than that as you can see by the sheathing and exterior log and interior 1x it is still all tied together. The post and beams are holding everything up and in place.

Jeff Remas
02-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Best

Ron

No, think of those panels as partitionsd for the most part unless they were engineered for bracing requirements in the PB construction

Steven Carcasole
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I LOVE SOLID CONSTRUCTION. IT GIVES A NICE RUSTIC FEEL TO THE HOME.

John Kogel
03-03-2009, 11:11 PM
I saw quite a few of these "Lindal Cedar Homes" up here in the 70's.
lindal.com/homes/

They could be bought as a kit, sadly lacking in insulation for the most part. Like a 4" thick panabode wall. Cedar was cheap and plentiful and so was firewood.:)
John Kogel
Home Inspection in Victoria BC, Sidney, Sooke, Saanich, Duncan, Cobble Hill, Mill Bay, Chemainus, Crofton, home inspector (http://www.allsafehome.ca)

A.D. Miller
03-04-2009, 04:44 AM

Any ideas. Thanks...

Best

Ron

Ron: I owned a lake cabin in East Texas for 12 years that was of this type construction. The only difference was that mine was an A-Frame configuration with shingles instead of plywood exterior cladding.

Mike Truss Guy
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I learned something at a code seminar the other day of which your photo reminded me. Timber frame type construction requires no enclosed air spaces in the framing. That's why all the rafters and beams in the partitions are visible throughout. I wonder if this is related to the foam filling the space?

As someone related above, wood makes good fuel. They almost never cover walls with drywall in a timber frame home. Also the minimum sizes of the beams are specified in the code. In lieu of the 1 hour fire rated materials liek drywall they figure that burning through them would take an hour. Unlike metal, wood actually gets stronger before it eventually turns into charcoal.

In this case it would be the fumes of melting plastic foam that would get you. :eek: