PDA

View Full Version : Airgap!

Gunnar Alquist
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
This is the very first time I have seen an airgap installation on a filter system. This was a Culligan reverse osmosis installation and it had an airgap and a p-trap. I was astounded. Normally, I see a saddle connection that discharges through a hole drilled into the sink drain pipe. It is the white cylindrical doohickey next to the disposal. The discharge tubing enters the top, the front of the airgap/cylinder is open. Sorry about the quality of the pic. Somewhat overexposed.

I got so excited, that I just had to share.

Ted Menelly
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
I guess it is designed so the water does not back up into the overflow line and contaminate the water. Hmm. Makes sennse to me.

Jerry Peck
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Neat ... but ... what happens when the drain backs up and ... starts to back up into the disposer ... ? :eek:

Why do I always have to be the one to ruin a good party? :D

Gunnar Alquist
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Neat ... but ... what happens when the drain backs up and ... starts to back up into the disposer ... ? :eek: Why do I always have to be the one to ruin a good party? :D

You really are killjoy. ;) With proper maintenance, the sink should <never?> back up. But, have you ever seen anything like this? I suppose the R/O drain could go into a dishwasher airgap, but then you would end up with two of those little chrome R2D2 things on your sink.

Peter Taheny
02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Gunnar

Just one.

Jerry Peck
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
But, have you ever seen anything like this?

Only once, and I had the same question then. :)

My client looked at it, looked at the hole, looked at the sink so far above it, then said '(non-repeated word)! That thing backs up and I've got a cabinet full of crappy water!', or words to that effect. I said 'Yep. That's what I'm talking about.'
:D

Peter Taheny
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Gunnar

It also appears that there are two traps on that trap arm.

CPC 2007 § 1001.1 … Not more than one (1) trap shall be permitted on a trap arm.

CPC 2001 § 1001.1 … Not more than one (1) trap shall be permitted on a trap arm.

Gunnar Alquist
02-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Ooh, I hadn't caught that. Thanks.

Jim Robinson
02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Most of the RO systems that are newer have a built in air gap for the drain. It runs uphill to the dispenser, and then back down to the drain.

Gunnar Alquist
02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Most of the RO systems that are newer have a built in air gap for the drain. It runs uphill to the dispenser, and then back down to the drain.

I haven't seen that. Do you have a pic?