PDA

View Full Version : Proper connection

Rick Vernon
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Good Evening All.

During an inspection yesterday I found a plastic condensate drain line from an electric pump caulked into a hole drilled into the top a 4" PVC drain pipe.
Is this considered a proper connection. I wrote it up and am being questioned about the reference by another inspector.

Does anyone know the reference for or against this.
No photos.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce Ramsey
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Caulk is not an approved method to join plumbing anywhere, anytime, for any purpose.

Push back on the other person and ask them to show you where in the code that caulk is an approved method to join pipes.

Gunnar Alquist
02-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Good Evening All. During an inspection yesterday I found a plastic condensate drain line from an electric pump caulked into a hole drilled into the top a 4" PVC drain pipe. Is this considered a proper connection. I wrote it up and am being questioned about the reference by another inspector. Does anyone know the reference for or against this. No photos. Thanks in advance!

2003 IRC

P3003.2 Prohibited Joints. Running threads and bands shall not be used in the drainage system. Drainage and vent piping shall not be drilled, tapped, burned or welded.

Jerry Peck
02-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Rick,

That is also an indirect connection and thus requires an air gap ... a 1" minimum air gap and could need to be larger depending on the size of the plastic tube and how far from the wall it is.

A 1" air gap is the smallest required for about anything, basically remember a minimum of 2 x the diameter of the discharge opening and maybe more if close to a wall.

A 1/2" or smaller opening requires a 1" air gap.

A 3/4" or smaller (down to the above 1/2") requires a 1-1/2" air gap.

Rick Vernon
02-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Thank you all for the quick responses and opportunity to learn!

:)