PDA

View Full Version : Radon Mitigation Vent Clearances

Terry Sandmeier
02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for information on clearances for a Radon Mitigation termination. I inspected a house today that has what appears to be a Radon Mitigation system installed by the homeowner, in which it was very poor to say the least. I don’t have the correct information on the termination clearances from doors, windows, or other vents. I do believe it has to terminate above a living level if I can recall. Any help with this will be appreciated.

Bill Thacker
02-27-2009, 11:37 PM
I think it is 10 feet from the ground and 10 feet from openings

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-28-2009, 08:56 AM
fan should be on outside of house--10 feet from any openings and should be above the roof line. or at least 10 feet off the ground---google it and go to the EPA site
charlie

James Harlow
02-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Hello,
The EPA Radon Mitigation Standards form #402-R-93-078 states the following;
Item# 14.2.8 To prevent re-entrainment of radon, the point of discharge from vents of fan-powered soil depressurization and block wall depressurization systems shall meet all of the following requirements: 1)be above the eave of the roof, (2) be ten feet or more above the ground level, (3) be ten feet or more from any window, door, or other opening into conditioned spaces of the structure that is less than two feet below the exhaust point, and (4) be ten feet or more from any opening into adjacent building. The total required distance (ten feet) from the point of discharge to openings in the structure may be measured either directly between the two points or be the sum of measurements made around intervening obstacles. Whenever possible, the exhaust point should be positioned above the highest eave of the building and as close to the roof ridge line as possible.

Scott Patterson
02-28-2009, 05:02 PM
fan should be on outside of house--10 feet from any openings and should be above the roof line. or at least 10 feet off the ground---google it and go to the EPA site
charlie

Actually the fan can be in the house, just not in or below a livable area. From the EPA site: The exhaust fan must not be located in or below a livable area. For instance, it should be in an unoccupied attic of the house or outside - not in a basement!

Terry Sandmeier
02-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!!
I have not studied up on the subject as I should have. There were multiple ways this installation was NOT up to standards, duct taped PVC connections, fan IN the crawl, vented like a dryer vent, and a gutter downspout as part of the system? I do not even know if this is what the home owner wanted to accomplish. The entire system was directed to a qualified contractor.

Thanks Again!

Bill Thacker
02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!!
I have not studied up on the subject as I should have. There were multiple ways this installation was NOT up to standards, duct taped PVC connections, fan IN the crawl, vented like a dryer vent, and a gutter downspout as part of the system? I do not even know if this is what the home owner wanted to accomplish. The entire system was directed to a qualified contractor.

Thanks Again!

Hey Terry,

Gutter downspout is not uncommon from the fan to the eave.

Bill
PA and MD Radon Testing in Baltimore, Bel Air, York, Lancaster (http://allproradon.com)

Terry Sandmeier
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Gutter downspout is not uncommon from the fan to the eave.

Bill,
What about as an extension before the fan?

Bill Thacker
03-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Bill,
What about as an extension before the fan?

Hi Terry.

No, that would not be typical....wow....you do have a homeowner Hank special there. It sounds like a mess. Is radon mitigation regulated in Colorado? I am curious about the contractor's qualifications you mentioned.

Did you get pictures of this system? Did you do a radon test by chance?

James Harlow
03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Terry,
The EPA recommends as a minimum, that plastic pipes in mitigation systems should be Schedule 20 PVC, ABS or equivalent piping materials. Schedule 40 piping or its equivalent should be used in garages and in other internal and external locations subject to weathering or physical damage. Most external installations are changed over to downspout piping after the fan as a means of blending the system in with the rest of the house. All of the joints in the plastic pipe need to be sealed using adhesives recommended by manufacturer except where the fan is connected. This typically, is a removable rubber boot with stainless steel clamps. The downspout joints are usually caulked with a urethane sealant.
Good Luck
Jim

Caoimhín P. Connell
03-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Good morning, Bill:

Radon mitigation is not regulated in Colorado, per se.

Cheers!
CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
Forensic Industrial Hygiene (http://www.forensic-applications.com)

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG