PDA

View Full Version : Micro/EXPLORER Digital inspection camera

Ron Bibler
02-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Had a Rep from ( Ridgid ) Come to my office to demo a MicroEXPLORER Digital inspection camera. This camera is very nice 3.5 Color LCD 320X240 RES. JPG and Video self leveling with low light vision.

Any one ever have one of these wall void cameras I'm looking at buying this unit from Ridged. Its the best one I have look at to date. $ 800.00

Any Help?

Best

Ron

Daniel Leung
02-28-2009, 02:29 AM
I saw the equipment last summer, it is on my wish list. These websites are selling $700
Ridgid MicroExplorer Digital Inspection Camera - Mfg# 30063 (http://www.professionalequipment.com/ridgid-microexplorer-digital-inspection-camera-30063/pipeline-cameras/)
Ridgid - SeeSnake microExplorer - Explorer Inspection Camera 30063 - Ohio Power Tool (http://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-1339-ridgid-microexplorer-digital-inspection-camera-30063.aspx)

Raymond Wand
02-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Homedepot.ca - Search - Digitial inspection camera (http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&N=0&Ntk=level1&Ntt=Digitial%20inspection%20camera&Nty=1&D=Digitial%20inspection%20camera&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&s=true)

Don't know whether this model Milwaukee is comparable. Fyi.

Daniel Leung
02-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks Raymond, you save me $400. This Milwaukee 2310-21P M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera and Compact Drill Combo Kit is selling $206.59 at Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2310-21P M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera and Compact Drill Combo Kit: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2310-21P-M-Spector-Digital-Inspection/dp/B001F7BIIA)
NOTE: a free gift of compact drill, AND free shipping.

Raymond Wand
02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Daniel,

The one feature I liked about the Ridgid is the larger viewing screen 3.5" Color LCD (320 x 240 Resolution) vs. the 2.4" High-Resolution (320x240) Color LCD Display on the Milwaukee.

Cheers,

Ron Bibler
02-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks Raymond, you save me $400. This Milwaukee 2310-21P M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera and Compact Drill Combo Kit is selling $206.59 at Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2310-21P M-Spector Digital Inspection Camera and Compact Drill Combo Kit: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2310-21P-M-Spector-Digital-Inspection/dp/B001F7BIIA)
NOTE: a free gift of compact drill, AND free shipping.

Thats an OK unit... But the Ridgid is over the top in quailty...

I used a low end unit like that last week on a job... it was very hard to see.

Best

Ron

Darrel Hood
02-28-2009, 01:48 PM
This appears to me to be more of a diagnostic tool for plumbers and possibly HVAC contractors than for home inspectors. What applications exist for this tool in a home inspection?

Darrel Hood
DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Daniel Leung
02-28-2009, 02:16 PM
What applications exist for this tool in a home inspection?

Any tools may help! I believe it is good for inspection as these areas:
1. Crack in combustion chamber of furnace.
2. Inaccessible crawl space.
3. Presence of P-trap under the shower basin.
4. Material of exhaust duct behind laundry dryer.
5. Dry rotten countertop under faucet........... and many unreachable area.

It's true, not using for every inspection. You may use a dental mirror to do the job in some cases, but I think have a digital photo is good for reporting.

I don't mind the size of screen of 3.5" or 2.4", I still using my 1.5" screen Fujifilm FinePix 10X optical zoom digital camera.

Billy Stephens
02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Any tools may help! I believe it is good for inspection as these areas:
1. Crack in combustion chamber of furnace.
Call in the pro ( I don't need a photo for that )

2. Inaccessible crawl space.
It's inaccessible and I don't ( can't report on Inaccessible.)

3. Presence of P-trap under the shower basin.
Bend down & look or hold your regular camera and take a flash picture.

4. Material of exhaust duct behind laundry dryer.
Hold your regular camera over the top of the dryer.

5. Dry rotten countertop under faucet........... and many unreachable area.
I think have a digital photo is good for reporting.
*see #4 only inverted.
I Got Digital photos. :D

Ted Menelly
02-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Call in the pro ( I don't need a photo for that )
It's inaccessible and I don't ( can't report on Inaccessible.)
Bend down & look or hold your regular camera and take a flash picture.
Hold your regular camera over the top of the dryer.
*see #4 only inverted.
I Got Digital photos. :D

I see about one item there that may be part of a home inspection.

You go to that extent on all those items and you are just asking for grief beyond belief. You need to leave a home inspection as what it is. You are stepping way over the boundaries of a home inspection and will be expected to exceed all boundaries once that many are broken.

Oh

I meant to say ditto Billy.

Ron Bibler
02-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Its not something that every inspector needs. As a Termite inspector its a big help I have a use for it and can make money with one and provide information for my buyers. As I just did a home with The infrared camera we found excessive moisture inside the walls Great find for the IR Camera. Now the Buyer needs to known if He has any Fungus damage to the framing of the walls. With the Camera I can take a photo of the insides of the walls without cutting out the walls.:D $ 450.00 Just to look inside the wall voids and take some photos...

Best

Ron

Billy Stephens
03-01-2009, 06:59 AM
I got a Milwaukee camera for a christmas present and havent used it yet on an inspection, but, I was able to give myself a colonoscopy:)
I think I'm OK.
Fritz,

That's great news glad to hear it. :D

Ron Bibler
03-01-2009, 08:59 AM
[quote=Billy Stephens;75340].http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/tools-equipment/10641d1235915969-micro-explorer-digital-inspection-camera-your-problem-obvous.jpg

Billy----I see all that Yoga you have been working on is paying off:o

Sorry L.O.L. Its only a Joke Billy...... Don't be a stick in the Mud:D

bEsT

rOn

Daniel Leung
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
You go to that extent on all those items and you are just asking for grief beyond belief. You need to leave a home inspection as what it is. You are stepping way over the boundaries of a home inspection and will be expected to exceed all boundaries once that many are broken.

From the discussion of telescope camera, let us think deeper and wider....
Do we just do "visual" inspection or as is?
Only licensed electrician is allowed to open the breaker panel. How many inspectors are checking the wiring behind the cover of breaker panel?
If you have an IR camera, heat and water behind walls are visual items. How many inspectors own a $5000 IR camera?
I believe most of us are doing excess the standards at least for one item. Are we marketing "meet or excess the standards of inspection"?

Anyway, I have no answers; just bring up something to review.

Billy Stephens
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Only licensed electrician is allowed to open the breaker panel.

How many inspectors are checking the wiring behind the cover of breaker panel?

I have no answers;.
Say What???

Only licensed Electrician is Allowed to Open The Panel Cover ?

I am required To Open the Panel covers by States ( as in plural ) to remove the Panel covers.

I have questions for your I Have No Answers.

How do you Inspect the Electrical Panels? ( Yep they have One ? )

Markus Keller
03-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I have the ridgid seesnake. Got it last year and it has been great. It's always in the truck for an HI but I usually don't need to bring it out.
When I do bring it out it pays for itself. When something makes me suspicious I can't help but investigate. Clients are impressed and happy to have some real answers as opposed to speculation.
I know it isn't for everyone but if you want a useful toy the seesnake is a great option. I wouldn't spend the money on the high end one.

Michael Thomas
11-05-2009, 04:04 PM
My SeeSnake just broke, so I upgraded to the Micro Explorer (I used the SS frequently, especially in the water intrusion inspection end of my business).

The ME is a significant step up: larger higher res screen, better lighting, the ability to capture images (and videos) and a "always up" feather that makes it easier to guide the camera end (always a big problem with such units).

Only features that are missing are remote focus and pan.

(I DO wonder, though, what the Ridgid Calendar Girl is going to do with it....)

Marc M
11-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Ron, I just got this camera, super cool... cant wait to use it.
I got it for $630 from PE, they matched an ebay price for me.

microEXPLORERâ„¢ Digital Inspection Camera - RIDGID Professional Tools (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/micro-Explorer/EN/index.htm)

Marc M
11-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Just received my new toy, I mean tool yesterday. This thing is pretty nice. It's one of those tools that you say to yourself; " I could have used this thing on so many past inspections". Highly recommended.

Michael Thomas
11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
There is a seller on eBay with 100% positive feedback who is selling these for $550 inc shipping:

Brand New In Box! Ridgid 30063 Seesnake MicroExplorer - eBay (item 200407191010 end time Nov-22-09 07:14:06 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-In-Box-Ridgid-30063-Seesnake-MicroExplorer_W0QQitemZ200407191010QQcmdZViewItemQ QptZBI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools?hash=item2ea9330 de2)

No idea what the warranty situation would be, though.

Ron Bibler
11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Make sure you order the 9 mm lens. They do help all and small tight areas outside of furnace.

Best

Ron

Marc M
11-19-2009, 09:11 PM
There is a seller on eBay with 100% positive feedback who is selling these for $550 inc shipping:

Brand New In Box! Ridgid 30063 Seesnake MicroExplorer - eBay (item 200407191010 end time Nov-22-09 07:14:06 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-In-Box-Ridgid-30063-Seesnake-MicroExplorer_W0QQitemZ200407191010QQcmdZViewItemQ QptZBI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools?hash=item2ea9330 de2)

No idea what the warranty situation would be, though.

Damn...