PDA

View Full Version : Window safety glass requirements

Don Murphy
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Anyone know if safety glazing is required for double hung windows on new construction? These are about 8" off the floor of a bonus room on the second story of the house. Windows are about 32 X 60 insulated glass vinyl windows. The rail in the middle for the upper and lower sashes may allow for non-tempered glass per IRC 308.4X5. I'm not very sure on this one, however client has two pint sized very active boys who will be playing in the bonus room.

Ted Menelly
03-02-2009, 03:36 PM
308.4 number 7

Jerry Peck
03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Windows are about 32 X 60 insulated glass vinyl windows. The rail in the middle for the upper and lower sashes may allow for non-tempered glass per IRC ...
*Not* required to be safety glazing per:

308.4 number 7

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)
- R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of glazing:
- - 7. Glazing in an individual fixed or operable panel, other than those locations described in Items 5 and 6 above, that meets all of the following conditions:
- - - 7.1. Exposed area of an individual pane larger than 9 square feet (0.836 m2).
- - - 7.2. Bottom edge less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor.
- - - 7.3. Top edge more than 36 inches (914 mm) above the floor.
- - - 7.4. One or more walking surfaces within 36 inches (914 mm) horizontally of the glazing.

As those are less than the required size stated in 7.1, that windows *does not* meet the *that meets all of the following* conditions.

However, those definitely *need* "opening protection" to help protect against falls through the window, safety glazing or no safety glazing.

For the sake of discussion, you tell me if that "opening" meets the following:
- SECTION R312
- - GUARDS
- - - R312.1 Guards. Porches, balconies, ramps or raised floor surfaces located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade belowshall have guards not less than 36 inches (914 mm) in height. Open sides of stairs with a total rise of more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below shall have guards not less than 34 inches (864 mm) in height measured vertically from the nosing of the treads.
- - - Porches and decks which are enclosed with insect screening shall be equipped with guards where the walking surface is located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below.

Jim Luttrall
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Anyone know if safety glazing is required for double hung windows on new construction? These are about 8" off the floor of a bonus room on the second story of the house. Windows are about 32 X 60 insulated glass vinyl windows. The rail in the middle for the upper and lower sashes may allow for non-tempered glass per IRC 308.4X5. I'm not very sure on this one, however client has two pint sized very active boys who will be playing in the bonus room.

No safety glazing required, but like Jerry said, it needs protection. The safety glass would not keep them inside, it would just keep them from having large shards of glass cutting them on the way down:eek:
A guard of some kind would be better than safety glazing.

Ted Menelly
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Thank you gentlemen. That was exactly what I was looking for. Just happen to be doing a report and flipped to that section. Yes they need protection from falling thru. The safe glazing would just be a nice little pile of glass around the bodies below.

Sorry for misquoting. I'll go back to work now.

Jerry Peck
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Yes they need protection from falling thru. The safe glazing would just be a nice little pile of glass around the bodies below.

Ted,

That's what I always explained to my clients as the difference between a window like that having safety glazing or not having safety glazing ... with safety glazing the pile of glass you fall onto has much smaller pieces in it. :D

While the builder/real estate agent/etc is standing there scratching their head trying to figure that out, my client is going 'Oh yeah, I understand.'

Don Murphy
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys. That is pretty much what I thought, but it's great hear from other inspectors in the same mind set. I recommended to my client that although we can't make the builder change out the glass, it would be prudent to at least add sturdy plantation shutters on the windows or block it with some sort of furniture.

In-so- far as the glass breaking into tiny little pieces (the visual of the little of the bodies not withstanding...:eek: ) isn't tempered glass harder to shatter?? :confused:

Jerry Peck
03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
isn't tempered glass harder to shatter?? :confused:

Yes, but how hard is "hard enough"? Ever try to break tempered glass? While it is hard to break with just force, try hitting it with a sharp object and it just shatters, now what if one was holding or carrying something sharp ... ? I've seen videos where all you have to do is press a self-setting center punch against the tempered glass, and when you press it is spring loaded and the spring compresses, then a little trigger inside release the compressed spring force (which you compressed by hand pushing) and ... the glass shatters.

Now, make that "laminated" glass and I'd go for it, make it "laminated" "tempered" and that would really be great.