PDA

View Full Version : New Member Post

Robert james
03-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Hello.
Reading some posts I see this forum is actively utilized by professionals genuinely interested in advancing the inspection field.
I was recently surprised to learn I had been registered as a "Fee Inspector" by the Texas Residential Construction Commission after a builder contacted me. I had received no notice from the Commission, but assume this was a result of my response for inspection services requested by the State last year, after Hurricane Ivan.
I am a registered engineer in Texas and I have in the past been certified as a Threshold Inspector (Building Inspector) in the State of Florida.
I would be interested in members advice on the best source of information on any additional certification requirements so I may participate in the inspection business in South Texas.
Any comments appreciated,
Robert James
Katy, TX

Ron Bibler
03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Welcome Robert... Can't help you with all the Texas stuff as Im In Calif.

But good have you around... Some of the guys can help with that info.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Hello.
Reading some posts I see this forum is actively utilized by professionals genuinely interested in advancing the inspection field.
I was recently surprised to learn I had been registered as a "Fee Inspector" by the Texas Residential Construction Commission after a builder contacted me. I had received no notice from the Commission, but assume this was a result of my response for inspection services requested by the State last year, after Hurricane Ivan.
I am a registered engineer in Texas and I have in the past been certified as a Threshold Inspector (Building Inspector) in the State of Florida.
I would be interested in members advice on the best source of information on any additional certification requirements so I may participate in the inspection business in South Texas.
Any comments appreciated,
Robert James
Katy, TX

Robert: Welcome.

For existing homes:
TREC - Inspector Main Page (http://www.trec.state.tx.us/inspector/default.asp)

For new construction:
http://www.iccsafe.org/certification/inspector/2009/2009National.pdf[/URL][URL="http://www.trec.state.tx.us"] (http://www.iccsafe.org)

Jim Luttrall
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Seems I can't find the exemption for engineers anymore. Did they do away with that clause or was I just dreaming?

A.D. Miller
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Seems I can't find the exemption for engineers anymore. Did they do away with that clause or was I just dreaming?

Jim: Though there are exemptions for engineers, the man asked for education scource references. This means that he is not the typical engineer that already knows it all.:D

Jerry Peck
03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Jim: Though there are exemptions for engineers, the man asked for education scource references. This means that he is not the typical engineer that already knows it all.:D

Sounds like he must be one of the 'good' engineers! :)

I saw this a couple of years ago and thought I had saved it, but cannot find it, so I've tried to recreate it from memory - hopefully it is correct.

Architects: Architects start out knowing everything about nothing and, over time, learn less and less about more and more, ending up knowing nothing about everything.

Engineers: Engineers start out knowing nothing about everything and, over time, learn more and more about less and less, ending up knowing everything about nothing.

Contractors: Contractors start out knowing everything about everything and, over time and through their association with Architects and Engineers, end up knowing nothing about nothing.

Subcontractors: Subcontractors start out knowing nothing about nothing, and, over time and through their association with Contractors, end up knowing even less about nothing.

A.D. Miller
03-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Sounds like he must be one of the 'good' engineers! :)

I saw this a couple of years ago and thought I had saved it, but cannot find it, so I've tried to recreate it from memory - hopefully it is correct.

Architects: Architects start out knowing everything about nothing and, over time, learn less and less about more and more, ending up knowing nothing about everything.

Engineers: Engineers start out knowing nothing about everything and, over time, learn more and more about less and less, ending up knowing everything about nothing.

Contractors: Contractors start out knowing everything about everything and, over time and through their association with Architects and Engineers, end up knowing nothing about nothing.

Subcontractors: Subcontractors start out knowing nothing about nothing, and, over time and through their association with Contractors, end up knowing even less about nothing.

JP: I don't know so much about that - or anything else . . .:D

Joe Billman
03-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Robert, there are currently two types of inspections in Texas. Most residential inspections fall under the rules of the Texas Real Estate Commission, as listed above.

The second type is involved in the home buyer/builder dispute resolution process, and is controlled by the TRCC (Texas REsidential Construction Commission). The TRCC requires registration with th ecommission. In addition to the TREC information, you may want to check out the TRCC site at: Texas Residential Construction Commission - Home (http://www.trcc.state.tx.us/default.asp) .

Robert james
03-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Joe,
Thanks for your reply.
It's the TRCC that registered me as a "Fee Inspector" (for which I would like to get a definition).
I am looking for recommendations on the most cost effective way to become certified in building inspection here in Texas.
Robert